Tax details published, what is to hide?

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has published his tax return and has urged Chancellor George Osborne to do the same. Everyone, and every company should have to do this. The Conservative are so very much anti-public sector, you would think at the very least they would be pushing for all employees paid by the state to have their tax details published. What is to be ashamed of?

Earnings are a very private matter, things like this should not be public knowledge.

You could add to that an account of everything we spend, our savings and assets, and how much in state benefits we get.

Who will be the first on here to post their tax return?

Individuals tax returns are private matters , just like how much an individual has in the bank is a private matter .

I don't care how much a terrorist sympathiser like John McDonnell has paid in tax or how much George Osborne has paid . I also don't care how much my next door neighbour pays in tax .

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has published his tax return and has urged Chancellor George Osborne to do the same. Everyone, and every company should have to do this. The Conservative are so very much anti-public sector, you would think at the very least they would be pushing for all employees paid by the state to have their tax details published. What is to be ashamed of?

Actually, all he seems to have done is post a screenshot of him filling in his return on line. He also states his salary as being £61,575 which is strange as his salary as an MP is actually £74,000.

He states his tax paid as being £14,253 which is 23%, when he's in the 40% tax bracket.

I'm no taxman, but if he wants to boast about transparency he should be posting his confirmation from the tax office, not half complete screenshots.

I don't care how much a terrorist sympathiser like John McDonnell has paid in tax or how much George Osborne has paid . I also don't care how much my next door neighbour pays in tax .

Why is it a secret? Times change, there was a time when things were secret. Now you can google a job and perhaps find how much it pays.

Tax should not be a secret. Surely a person that pays loads of money in tax, and will get one of those receipts that tells them what it has been spent on.

They can be proud how much they paid to help the homeless etc.

Individuals tax returns are private matters , just like how much an individual has in the bank is a private matter .

Or how much he hasnt paid, which is more likely.

his family owned company turned over 2 millions and havent pain any tax yet lol

Actually, all he seems to have done is post a screenshot of him filling in his return on line. He also states his salary as being £61,575 which is strange as his salary as an MP is actually £74,000.

He states his tax paid as being £14,253 which is 23%, when he's in the 40% tax bracket.

I'm no taxman, but if he wants to boast about transparency he should be posting his confirmation from the tax office, not half complete screenshots.

Perhaps the taxman needs to have a word with him.

Why is it a secret? Times change, there was a time when things were secret. Now you can google a job and perhaps find how much it pays.

Tax should not be a secret. Surely a person that pays loads of money in tax, and will get one of those receipts that tells them what it has been spent on.

You are confusing secret with private .

So if folk went on TV and told the world about making a charitable donation you would think that a good thing?

Companies do have to publish accounts.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 10:40 ----------

You got that right.

Being in the 40% bracket doesn't mean that your entire income attracts 40% does it. He still has a 10k 0% allowance like everyone else, and then 33k at 20%... 23% overall sounds about right.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 10:45 ----------

Chances are that the discrepancy in MPs pay and what he declares is a contribution to a pension.

Pay £74,000

Taxable Wage £63,400

Tax Paid £19,003

That's the basic though, without any pension contribution (based on the 74k you mentioned). That's a tax rate of just over 25% overall.

Perhaps the figure you were looking at was "taxable income" though? Much closer then to what would be expected.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 10:48 ----------

His pay is apparently lower than you think though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5350793/MPs-expenses-The-saints-Part-iii.html?image=26

You got that right.

Being in the 40% bracket doesn't mean that your entire income attracts 40% does it. He still has a 10k 0% allowance like everyone else, and then 33k at 20%... 23% overall sounds about right.

His pay is apparently lower than you think though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5350793/MPs-expenses-The-saints-Part-iii.html?image=26

All good points, I forgot about the increments. In that case, I'm happy to stand corrected regarding the tax %age.

That telegraph link is ancient though, the latest figures are here:

http://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/

As you say though, it could be his pension. A nice healthy pension if it is..