4 reasons why Labour lost the election

Jeremy Hunt use a phrase similar to that, this morning on the Andrew Marr show, for recent Conservative spending on the NHS, I should google it.

There's a world of difference between claiming to do something and actually do it.

Jeremy Hunt use a phrase similar to that, this morning on the Andrew Marr show, for recent Conservative spending on the NHS, I should google it.

In terms of monetary spending, more is spent on the NHS now than ever before. In terms of %age of GDP, the amount is steadily falling as £GDP increases and the spending on the NHS remains frozen.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/spending_chart_1900_2016UKp_XXc1li011mcn_10t_20th_Century_Healthcare

In 2010 the %age of the GDP spent on healthcare was 7.79, in 2015 it had dropped to 7.35.

In terms of monetary spending, more is spent on the NHS now than ever before. In terms of %age of GDP, the amount is steadily falling as £GDP increases and the spending on the NHS remains frozen.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/spending_chart_1900_2016UKp_XXc1li011mcn_10t_20th_Century_Healthcare

In 2010 the %age of the GDP spent on healthcare was 7.79, in 2015 it had dropped to 7.35.

In the meantime healthcare spending inflation has increased at a higher rate than spending on healthcare has.

In the meantime healthcare spending inflation has increased at a higher rate than spending on healthcare has.

I'm not surprised; the article I linked gives an extra 2.5 million people in the UK between 2010 and 2015, an increase of 4% compared to a spending drop of 0.5% GDP in the same period. Healthcare inflation isn't just the unit cost of operations and beds, it's the extra amount of patients being served.

It's often forgotten that his government increased spending on health and education by levels not seen in my lifetime.

---------- Post added 07-02-2016 at 11:30 ----------

There's rumours doing the rounds that there may be a snap general election, so Corbyn may well get his opportunity to put his ideas to the people.

I don't know how it would fit in with Cameron's statement on the previous election being his last one, so would he fight this election then stand down at the end of the 5 year cycle from the last election?

There can't be a snap general election unless the law is changed. We have fixed term parliaments

---------- Post added 07-02-2016 at 20:01 ----------

I've already shown you facts and figures with references on another thread to prove that this is not the case. The debt has not doubled since Osbourne became chancellor even in cash terms, never mind after correcting for inflation or growth.

UK national debt 1997: 352 billion

UK national debt 2010: 902 billion (increase= x2.5)

UK national debt end 2015: £1540 billion (increase= x1.7)

I'm going to assume that this was a mistake and not a deliberate lie, even though we've had this discussion with figures before.

In 5 years he's borrowed more than Labour did in 13 years. And still he borrows at sustained record levels. Still he continues to miss target after target.

The unstoppable trajectory of the debt is for a doubling. Not there yet but we are well on the way.

It's actually quite funny the way you try and portray this as some kind of economic victory.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11339921/David-Cameron-and-the-national-debt-monster-in-three-charts.html

There can't be a snap general election unless the law is changed. We have fixed term parliaments

The House of Commons can call for a general election if two thirds vote for it.

The House of Commons can call for a general election if two thirds vote for it.

That won't happen.

That won't happen.

If that was the case what were the Labour MPs, who rumoured to be reported in the Guardian, doing advising Corbyn to be ready?

If the Tories decided to have an early election, are you suggesting that the other parties wouldn't fancy a chance to increase their numbers of seats, so vote in favour of an early election?

Edited by JFKvsNixon

In 5 years he's borrowed more than Labour did in 13 years. And still he borrows at sustained record levels. Still he continues to miss target after target.

Why is he borrowing all this money, what is it being spent on?

Proportionally, the Greens did about the same as UKIP. They both increased their number of votes by a factor of about 4. Loss of votes to the Greens alone cost Labour about 8 seats - if you add the increase in the Green vote to the Labour vote in each seat, that's the number of extra seats that Labour would have won. [if you add all the Green votes to the Labour votes, it goes up to 11.]

Labour actually made a net gain of 1 from the Tories. The Tories gained 9 seats from Labour, whereas Labour gained 10 from the Tories (according to the Press Association database).

But you're right that, on the face of it, the future looks bleak. The best hope would be to galvanize the 33% of people who didn't vote (who are, one assumes, disproportionately those who would benefit most from a Labour victory). That was a major factor in the SNP surge. [Turnout in Scotland went up by about 18%, compared to about 0.2% in England.]

I see the Tories feel they can push Labour into 3rd place in Scotland, so there doesn't seem to be much of a Corbyn bounce there, but I do love to read all these "if only" tales.

The polls seem to be recording the blindingly obvious at the moment, which is Middle England is less likely to vote for Corbyn's Labour than Miliband's Labour. So just which seats are Labour hoping to win from the Tories?

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html

Seat County/Area ...........Predicted Change ............. MP as at 2015

Barrow and Furness Cumbria CON gain from LAB : John Woodcock

Brentford and Isleworth Hounslow CON gain from LAB : Ruth Cadbury

Carshalton and Wallington Sutton CON gain from LIB : Tom Brake

Chester, City of Cheshire CON gain from LAB : Chris Matheson

Dewsbury West Yorkshire CON gain from LAB : Paula Sherriff

Ealing Central and Acton Ealing CON gain from LAB : Rupa Huq

Enfield North Enfield CON gain from LAB : Joan Ryan

Halifax West Yorkshire CON gain from LAB : Holly Lynch

Hampstead and Kilburn Camden CON gain from LAB : Tulip Siddiq

Hove East Sussex CON gain from LAB : Peter Kyle

Ilford North Redbridge CON gain from LAB : Wes Streeting

Lancaster and Fleetwood Lancashire CON gain from LAB : Catherine Smith

Newcastle-under-Lyme Staffordshire CON gain from LAB : Paul Farrelly

Norfolk North Norfolk CON gain from LIB : Norman Lamb

Southport Merseyside CON gain from LIB : John Pugh

Wirral West Merseyside CON gain from LAB : Margaret Greenwood

Wolverhampton South West Black Country CON gain from LAB : Rob Marris

Ynys Mon Gwynedd NAT gain from LAB : Albert Owen

If you were John Woodcock MP what would you be doing?

Edited by foxy lady

Like I say, the future does look bleak. Poor old England.

Democracy can be a real bitch if the rest of humanity don't share your point of view.

75% of the electorate didn't vote Tory. The rest of humanity don't share your point of view, either.

An even bigger percentage didn't vote Labour/UKIP /LIBDEM/Green etcetc..just saying