Mobility Cars any experiences?

Look at post 7, ANGELFIRE states you have the option to buy the car after 3 years? so does anyone know the answer to my question in post 15?[/QUOTE]

It is really the type of question to ask a motor dealer. Even then, there are too many unknown factors to consider.Make of car, model, condition etc, and probably other things I have not mentioned.

Have a look on Ebay - type in "ex Motability" in your search.

From Motability's website:

Am I able to buy my current car, and if so, how much will it cost?

If you are not awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, please contact us as soon as possible to let us know. As soon as the DWP confirms that you are no longer eligible for the Scheme, we will write to you giving you more information specific to your situation. This will include a personalised quote for you to purchase the Motability vehicle. The transitional support package that you would otherwise have received when returning the vehicle, will be taken off the cost of buying the car.

A Google of various car forums says that the Motability price is usually higher, they recommend you try and follow the car to the auctions and snap it up there.

Edited by alchresearch

Just been reading this thread and have a question. Lets say you get a new car on motorbility, the car is worth say 15k new. After the 3 years of use and you have done 30'000 on clock, then how much would the motorbility recipient be offered the car for?

You phone Mobility up and they give you the figures, It's as easy as that.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 18:41 ----------

What he explained to me was that if he had kept his DLA book (instead of having a motobility car) he would have received 10k in DLA payments in those 3 years, and could have bought a decent 2nd hand car of his choice with the 10k. Do keep in mind the following with this scenario: If the guy (who goes down the motability route) requests his payment book be returned at the end of 3 years, he has not got ANY car and has parted with 10k of his DLA. I understand there are cheaper as well as more expensive cars available on Motability A 2nd hand 10k car would still have value left in it 3 years later, while the other guy has no car

I hope that makes it a bit clearer. There must be some on here that have experience of this.

I almost understand, but you don't get a 10k lump of brass, you get £55 quid a week, I agree if you save it every week you have a tidy sum after three years. But who can afford to save it, not many is my guess. And what do you use for transport during the three years of saving, the cost of which you have to deduct off your 10k of course. So really it's a no brainer, if you want regular transport to get you around, the mobility vehicle is the way to go.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 18:43 ----------

I suppose it also depends on how much the guy has had to pay for maintenance/service/tyres etc.. going motability hasn't really cost him 10k more than buying a 2nd hand car would have..is insurance included with motability ?

Yes, you just have to fuel the car. Everything else including break downs are covered.

Angel1.

You make no deals, Mobility do all the deals. The only way you get a "better deal" is if the car manufacturer wants to get rid of stock, then you "might" if it's on the scheme get a better model for the same deposit you would pay for a lesser one.

Angel1.

That's a bit confusing you contradict yourself and then state what I asked as though you are supplying an answer....:suspect::help:

---------- Post added 07-02-2016 at 12:51 ----------

OK fair comment..how much would buying and running his own car have cost?

I think what a lot of people dont realise is that a car bought for cash or on finance doesnt really mean cash in the bank. The car will be used as a deposit for the next car. The only time it will be worth hard cash is when you pack up driving or buy a cheaper car... which most ordinary people dont..

I think the motability deal is a good one. Especially if you are currently driving an older car which are less economical.... then there's no insurance. tax or repairs...

I worked out that if I leased a new car I would be 30 quid a week out of pocket bearing in mind mt current costs to run an old banger...

Not bad bearing in mind I'd have a brand new car :D

You phone Mobility up and they give you the figures, It's as easy as that.

I almost understand, but you don't get a 10k lump of brass, you get £55 quid a week, I agree if you save it every week you have a tidy sum after three years. But who can afford to save it, not many is my guess. And what do you use for transport during the three years of saving, the cost of which you have to deduct off your 10k of course. So really it's a no brainer, if you want regular transport to get you around, the mobility vehicle is the way to go.

Angel1.

It has to be kept in mind that the example I refer to was in respect of someone that did not need to save the Monthly DLA money up. It was not a no brainer in the case of the guy in question. It was a good move. He didn’t need to receive the DLA money to enable the purchase of another car. He simply bought one cash. The DLA money simply continued to come in regardless.

That's a bit confusing you contradict yourself and then state what I asked as though you are supplying an answer....:suspect::help:

Jesus it's hard work is this. Here is an example of my post. When I was out and about selecting my first mobility motor I tripped off down to the local Toyota dealer, the mobility salesman was really very good and supplied answers to all my questions. I fancied a Rav 4, but they had just been taken off the scheme, what made matters worse, my friendly salesman told me if I had come the month before, I could have had a top of the range Rav for the same deposit as a basic model. The moral was that Toyota wanted rid of the "old" Rav to promote the new model, so were making the Top of the range old model available to mobility users. Now do you get my drift.

Angel1.

Jesus it's hard work is this. Here is an example of my post. When I was out and about selecting my first mobility motor I tripped off down to the local Toyota dealer, the mobility salesman was really very good and supplied answers to all my questions. I fancied a Rav 4, but they had just been taken off the scheme, what made matters worse, my friendly salesman told me if I had come the month before, I could have had a top of the range Rav for the same deposit as a basic model. The moral was that Toyota wanted rid of the "old" Rav to promote the new model, so were making the Top of the range old model available to mobility users. Now do you get my drift.

Angel1.

hiya I had a motability car for 18 years renewed every 3 years so all in all that was 6 cars, I had 2 corsa's and 4 astra' the dealership was the Vauxhall one on saville st if jonathan is still there he will fix you up no problem, the first astra I had was a down payment of £900, the ones after were no down payment, the only reason I stopped was I had a stroke in 2012 so I gave up my licence.

Angel1.

It is. I'm even more confused now :hihi: You said they dont do deals, then you said they maybe do in the next sentence... then you provide an example of a deal you have done...

If you had replied to my original question... ie is it possible to do a deal when the reg is about to change.. with the example you have provided you will have saved us all the trouble.... its like pulling teeth...:suspect:

It is. I'm even more confused now :hihi: You said they dont do deals, then you said they maybe do in the next sentence... then you provide an example of a deal you have done...

If you had replied to my original question... ie is it possible to do a deal when the reg is about to change.. with the example you have provided you will have saved us all the trouble.... its like pulling teeth...:suspect:

I think you are trolling.

Phil*