Tax details published, what is to hide?

You mean VAT liability or VAT accounting?

You get VAT return on business expenses, so you are not effectively taxed.

You have to collect it on sales on behalf of HMRC thou, so it does affect business in a way. But it all equals out up to final non-VAT registered consumer or small business.

Whether you pay VAT to the government depends on whether you buy more stuff than you sell (which is not true for a very many businesses).

I charge VAT to my business customers, I pass it on to HMRC.

It most definitely doesn't all equal out for all companies.

Whether you pay VAT to the government depends on whether you buy more stuff than you sell (which is not true for a very many businesses).

I charge VAT to my business customers, I pass it on to HMRC.

It most definitely doesn't all equal out for all companies.

Add to that equation VAT you are getting charged by your suppliers.

Then it all goes to zero for B2B. That is in fact principle of VAT.

You pay VAT and then HMRC gives it back. You charge VAT and then give it away to HMRC. Because you deal with HMRC all in one and with suppliers and customers separately it might seem different.

Amount you pay or get back from HMRC is just part of all money that goes through VAT account. It is in fact amount that is needed to balance it to zero.

Now think about all suppliers in line doing same pointless exercise.

All that work to collect tax on final price.

How much effort goes into keeping all that money circulating only to balance it out in end for most parties involved.

That must be most wasteful system ever.

I have no suppliers, I don't buy any materials in. Hence why you're wrong. I hand over >10k a year to HMRC for VAT.

I'm running a business and I'm telling you that you're wrong.

You hand over it all because you have no suppliers.

So you charge VAT on behalf of HMRC and give it to them. You are doing someone else's job.

You are not VAT taxed. For you this is still zero. Your customers are and that is exactly why someone doing same thing but not VAT registered can undercut you by VAT amount.

Same profit, lower price.

People like you are only efficient part of that whole system.

Rest just churns numbers to get them to zero, sends monopoly money to HMRC and back.

If you have any doubts ask your accountant how much VAT you have to pay for yourself not for your customers.

I said all along that I charge my customers VAT. Clearly I'm not paying it, they are.

And just as clearly it's a tax on sales. Albeit one where you can offset the amount of VAT you've been charged against the amount you yourself have charged, meaning that ultimately only sales to the public/non registered comapnies (which is what we're talking about with regards to Starbucks at least) accrue any VAT for HMRC.

Edited by Cyclone

No, you are right. I will admit to not being aware that the register of interests cover those things. I withdraw what I asked for as that does indeed cover all the things I think should be in public domain.

It's not exactly clear what level of stuff should be in the public domain, it took some digging. IMO it should be a lot easier to find this information in the interests of transparency, but I suppose we should be happy that it's at least available.

Of course, there have been occasions in the past where MPs didn't declare certain things, then were later caught out; I'd like to think that our current set of MPs have learnt from the mistakes of predecessors in that regard.

.. apart from the SNP

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14181395.Standards_commissioner_launches_full_inquiry_into_SNP_MP_s_financial_interests/