Water butt issues

HI

i have recently took over a plot, with a water butt / blue barrel, but . . . there is no tap on it, can anyone tell me how i get the water out of the only hole which is on the top of the barrel, facing upwards?

thanks

A Ladle :loopy:

Alternatively try syphoning it into your watering can through the small hole, or cut a bigger hole so your watering can will fit in ?

hi all, thanks

the hole in top is about 2 inches wide so the ladle is out of the question.

the barrel is also full so i may have to just empty it and then fit a tap to the bottom

does the trick where you suck a short pipe then the water comes out actually work? ( ie like getting petrol out of a petrol tank)

thanks for your suggestions

If you could get a length of hosepipe into the water butt by holding it from the top somehow, make sure you lower it in slowly so it fills with water then put your thumb over it, drop the end you have your thumb over into a butt with a bit of water in and it will syphon the water until they are level. I did this with 3 butts in a row, takes time for them to level out but it does work.

I wouldnt recommend sucking the pipe if you dont know how long the water has been in there!

you can buy 'taps' that you can easily fix into the water butt from Wilkinsons.