Remembering politicians in the 1950s

My mother used to vote for a Conservative candidate in the 1950s. I remember she would go to the polling station at a small church on Valentine Road, off Sheffield Lane Top. She only voted for him because she said he spoke so beautifully!!! Does anyone have any records of local politicians in those days?

My mother used to vote for a Conservative candidate in the 1950s. I remember she would go to the polling station at a small church on Valentine Road, off Sheffield Lane Top. She only voted for him because she said he spoke so beautifully!!! Does anyone have any records of local politicians in those days?

hiya, this post brng back memories when i was young when we went around the streete with candidate photo's on sticks of wood this was in the 40s the one i remember was for a mr morris don't know if it was local or national elections or what but there was one he was up against a l arden whinch, who owned the brush works on bath st broomhall, we sang " vote vote vote for mr morriis you can't vote for a better man vote vote for mr morris and put old whinchy in an old tin can. our voteing station was st silas scout room on hanover st.

..." vote vote vote for mr morriis you can't vote for a better man vote vote for mr morris and put old whinchy in an old tin can....
This ditty (sung to the tune of "Jesus loves the little children") had its origins at the time of the 1929 general election. When well into her 80s, my mum - Hillsborough born and bred - would still sing:

..Vote vote vote for Alexander,

..You can't vote for a better man.

..Alexander is our man,

..And we'll get him if we can

..And we'll put old Harland in an old tin can.

This referred to the Labour Co-Op candidate Albert Alexander, later Earl Alexander of Hillsborough. He won the 1929 election (just as he had won the previous three, and later ones), his 1929 Conservative opponent in Hillsborough being Albert Harland.

Edited by hillsbro

Have you any information about a prospective Conservative candidate standing in Shiregreen in the 1950s?

Have you any information about a prospective Conservative candidate standing in Shiregreen in the 1950s?
In the 1950s Shiregreen was in the Brightside constituency; Conservative candidates in the 1950s general elections were Alfred Wood (1950 & 1951), Edward Flynn (1955) and Hugo Holmes (1959). Richard Winterbottom won the seat for Labour each time.

You are a star!!! My mum used to vote for Hugo Holmes. She said he spoke so nicely!!! No other reason!!

Hugo Holmes was my Aunt Joyce's heart-throb as well - she always had upper-class tastes....:P

This ditty (sung to the tune of "Jesus loves the little children") had its origins at the time of the 1929 general election. When well into her 80s, my mum - Hillsborough born and bred - would still sing:

..Vote vote vote for Alexander,

..You can't vote for a better man.

..Alexander is our man,

..And we'll get him if we can

..And we'll put old Harland in an old tin can.

This referred to the Labour Co-Op candidate Albert Alexander, later Earl Alexander of Hillsborough. He won the 1929 election (just as he had won the previous three, and later ones), his 1929 Conservative opponent in Hillsborough being Albert Harland.

My father was a distant relative of Mr. Alexander and used to sing that ditty.

Ironically towards the end of his life my father came to detest the labour party.

In the early 60s at what I think was the Cemetery Rd vestry hall was a weekly meeting called Happy Hour for children. There was a man called 'BIG GEORGIE' who unfortunately had the mind of a child,he was well liked and loved to sing. On election night one time he would lead us up and down the streets singing 'vote vote vote for Joan Mellors. don't remember if she was running for local or national office but that little ditty has stuck with me all these years.

..On election night one time he would lead us up and down the streets singing 'vote vote vote for Joan Mellors. don't remember if she was running for local or national office but that little ditty has stuck with me all these years.
That would be the Joan Mellors who was the Labour candidate (runner-up) for Heeley in the 1959 general election. Do people still make up these songs nowadays when electioneering? It sounds like good fun!

hiya, this post brng back memories when i was young when we went around the streete with candidate photo's on sticks of wood this was in the 40s the one i remember was for a mr morris don't know if it was local or national elections or what but there was one he was up against a l arden whinch, who owned the brush works on bath st broomhall, we sang " vote vote vote for mr morriis you can't vote for a better man vote vote for mr morris and put old whinchy in an old tin can. our voteing station was st silas scout room on hanover st.

Thanks for this memory!

I lived on the springs in the 50's and I remember the stick with a poster with the name of " Sir Frank Soskis . We cried out vote-vote-vote for Mr. Soskis , you cant have a better man. He was the candidate for Neepsend ; as it was then. He was a Labour candidate .

Our , or rather my parents , poling station was the methodist chapel on the corner of Pickering road - Wallace road .

I remember early fifties in Walkley when children went round the streets singing "vote vote vote for MR Darling" supporting George Darling Labour candidate for Hillsborough. Didn't seem unusual at the time as we addressed all grown ups by Mr or Mrs.