Who should be next Police Commissioner for South Yorks?

I would prefer it if we went back to the old system. However if we are stuck with this we need to get the right person.

In my opinion it should not be a member of any political party.

We need a person from the business community, or a respected cleric, (assuming there are some left). Maybe a former Union representative. Perhaps a former senior Police Officer.

Nominations please.

Personally, I think in view of the potential problems associated with actually getting rid of one. I think the government will take a long hard look at the current system and change it anyway (they need to)....Apparently, they can't be sacked by anyone...Not even the home secretary...and can only be 'suspended' (on full pay no doubt) if they are actually accused of a crime carrying a greater sentence than 2 years. Effectively they are untouchable.

That's plain wrong in my view. It needs changing, and 'quickly'

Edited by PeteMorris

I'll be the new PCC if you like.

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 10:58 ----------

Personally, I think in view of the potential problems associated with actually getting rid of one. I think the government will take a long hard look at the current system and change it anyway (they need to)....Apparently, they can't be sacked by anyone...Not even the home secretary...and can only be 'suspended' (on full pay no doubt) if they are actually accused of a crime carrying a greater sentence than 2 years. Effectively they are untouchable.

That's plain wrong in my view. It need changing, and 'quickly'

As he's an elected official then perhaps what's needed is some sort of recall process and while they are doing it lets have one for MPs too.

Further my submission, I trust that in addition to the report regarding child abuse in Rotherham, readers are aware of the report of Her Majesties Inspectorate of Constabulary who reported last Tuesday that under this Commissioner Police have been tasked to "disprove" allegations of crime, thereby keeping recorded crime figures down. This, in the words of the HMIC report shows " A disregard for victims".

In other words Shaun Wright has been fiddling the crime figures whilst in office. I run a business, if I fiddle my figures its called false accounting, if you fiddle your timesheet or your expenses, its theft.

Time to face the music Shaun?

I'll be the new PCC if you like.

Not me. I couldn't survive on such a low salary :cool:

Well if he hangs on until his full term is up no doubt he'll have pocketed his £85K a year salary, made himself a nice pension pot and made enough contacts in the business or police community to enable him to walk straight into another highly paid job as soon as the electorate boot him out.

In fact possibly the one thing he will have achieved during his tenure is to make people actually vote in the next PCC election in order to remove him.

Well if he hangs on until his full term is up no doubt he'll have pocketed his £85K a year salary, made himself a nice pension pot and made enough contacts in the business or police community to enable him to walk straight into another highly paid job as soon as the electorate boot him out.

In fact possibly the one thing he will have achieved during his tenure is to make people actually vote in the next PCC election in order to remove him.

doubt a few years worth of pension would really be a great deal.

would anyone want him?

if they did then it's hard to see what an ex-pcc can do, other than go to work for one of the private companies running police services

would anyone want him?

if they did then it's hard to see what an ex-pcc can do, other than go to work for one of the private companies running police services

He could always become an MP......................Aaaaaaaaargh!!!!

Apart from being a source for scandal, has any PC in any constituency actually done anything positive?

There we go, let's decide this was a dumb idea and get rid of them. At least our jobsworth will have done something useful that way.

would anyone want him?

He seems perfect for G4S.

Not me. I couldn't survive on such a low salary :cool:

Actually.....

Around the time of the first election I was working round the corner from Snig Hill and it occurred to me that if I stood and got elected then I could pop in for a couple of hours every couple of days which is probably all the job really needs. I'd only have taken the salary pro-rata and maybe claimed a few necessary expenses and put the rest of the money into the general policing fund.

I'd also have got myself some training on how to use a taser, authorised myself to use it, borrowed one and solved another problem I was having at the time.

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 11:31 ----------

Apart from being a source for scandal, has any PC in any constituency actually done anything positive?

There we go, let's decide this was a dumb idea and get rid of them. At least our jobsworth will have done something useful that way.

I suppose its the standard media "good news is no news" thing. we only hear about the failures and there do seem to have been quite a lot of them.

I'm sure some have done good work, though it's hard to see what good work they could actually do.

Just waking up after a bender (as they say).

Has he resigned yet?

I was one of those who turned out to vote for him. At the polling station, it was mayhem, as you can imagine.

What I'm thinking is this.....How many days a week does he go to his work as PCC?

He gets to his desk, whato do his staff say to him?

Who does he call / who calls him? And what do they say to him?

And how can he posssibly do the pisspot of a job for which he draws his salary (and no doubt already has his police pension thanks very much!)