Rooney named as new England captain.

New England captain - Wayne Rooney

I'm sure he'll be a role model and shining light. Reserve a space in that trophy cabinet for 4 years time!

New England captain - Wayne Rooney

I'm sure he'll be a role model and shining light. Reserve a space in that trophy cabinet for 4 years time!

What choice was there? He's captain by default.

Doesn't inspire anyone IMO- youngsters needed a more solid character, a leader- but like JFK says, given by default.

What a great role model for the kids, petulant, spoilt never been world class, likes to visit prostitutes done NOTHING at any major tournament especially last 2 world cups so presto, make him captain:loopy::loopy::loopy::rant::rant:

Who else was there? Joe Hart was the only other possibility for me, and I don't feel a keeper should be captain.

I do like his passion, but he is no role model.

Bring Terry back.

Say what you want about his shenanigans. But he is a proper leader on the pitch.

Edited by Robbie Loving

Woohoo, England are going to win Euro 2016!

:|

Gary Cahill was outstanding at the WC for me,a better choice than Rooney.

Paired alongside Stones of Everton England have finally two composed central defenders for years to come.

and I don't feel a keeper should be captain.

generally its the keeper that does all the shouting and stuff tho, specially when the defence are being shoddy :P

Won't somebody think of the grandmothers :o

Who else was there? Joe Hart was the only other possibility for me, and I don't feel a keeper should be captain.

I do like his passion, but he is no role model.

Bring Terry back.

Say what you want about his shenanigans. But he is a proper leader on the pitch.

I think that Hart's star is beginning to wane. A few years ago he had tremendous potential, but I don't feel that he's kicked on enough. Apparently he had the lowest save percentage in the World Cup.

It's a tough decision. It ought to be someone who's going to be first on the team sheet. For me, that's not Rooney and I don't think being captain will aid his complacency on the pitch. I think Hart is closer to being an automatic pick and a world class player. I just can't see Cahill as a long term solution either. Those three come closest to a guaranteed place though which unfortunately speaks volumes about the state of English football.

I'm not sure I'd pick him full stop. But as others have said there wasn't many putting their hand up.