Snake or Woodhead Pass : Which Sheffield to Manchester route?

Been trying to get information about the Snake Pass and whether it is closed due to a land slip today and if so when it will be open. Anyone got any info on this, can't seem to find anything on the net. Thanks.

Was closed this morning between Ladybower and Glossop due to a landslip / landslide. Not sure when it is due to open sorry

Any idea where to get info then ?

From http://www.theaa.com

Road Incident

A57 Closed between Glossop (junction with A624) and Junction with A6013 in Eastbound direction.

A57 Closed between Junction with A6013 and Glossop (junction with A624) in Westbound direction.

Radio 5 said it was going to be shut for the rest of the week earlier but they have not mentioned it since

I think the Snake is closed for 3 weeks, more if they find its worse than they thought.

So far the HA have spent £4m on the Public Inquiry for the by-pass and still don't have the figures to present.

Building the by-pass may solve the current queueing problem, but will lead to more traffic using Woodhead which is already slow due mainly to the large vehicles. This will lead to problems appearing elsewhere on the route.

Opening the Woodhead rail route might help a bit, but thats looking less likely now.

Ultimately there needs to be a better route between Sheffield and Manchester, but I don't know where you would put it.

This must be Britain's most ridiculous bottle neck and nothing, ever, ever gets done about it.

Here, we have a major route which meets two narrow side roads. Traffic lights seem to favour the side roads and the result is a slow crawl either uphill or along a road between two petrol stations and a not very pleasant housing estate.

Getting rid of the lights would be a start; building a by-pass is a must. Ask Gordon Brown for some lolly. Apparently he's just given the Indians £725,000,000 of our hard earned cash.

If anyone finds out whether it is open or not tomorrow could they possibly let me know, its very important :) thanks!

x

If anyone finds out whether it is open or not tomorrow could they possibly let me know, its very important :) thanks!

x

Having seen a film shot and listened to Look North - I would say it will be closed. The road is fractured by debris etc - and I think they said closed for the foreseeable future. (Only a guess on that evidence).

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/travel_news_redirect.jsp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/looknorthyorkslincs/latest_stories/index.shtml - Link to tonight's edition to view what I saw?

Ahh ! Thanks muchly for your help CHAIRBOY xxx

Ahh ! Thanks muchly for your help CHAIRBOY xxx

It's not confirmed. Can you not go Woodhead way? Maybe go through Castleton - Winats- Whalley Bridge - Potts Shrigley way?

Or, check out my leads.

If Radio 5 said 'closed for the rest of the week' - I'd believe that on the footage I've seen.

It's not confirmed. Can you not go Woodhead way? Maybe go through Castleton - Winats- Whalley Bridge - Potts Shrigley way?

Or, check out my leads.

If Radio 5 said 'closed for the rest of the week' - I'd believe that on the footage I've seen.

Yeah i heard closed for the rest of the week but wasn't sure if they counted the weekend as well lol :D

i could but ide rather go the way i know, might just take the motorway or get him to come here instead :cool: