Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

The black car is at fault.

The white car was in the correct lane for either turning left under the viaduct to M1(N), or to go straight ahead to Rotherham, which it did. Look at the lane markings on the approach to the roundabout, it says M1(N) & Rotherham, so the white car is perfectly in its right to go straight ahead.

The black car was in the lane for turning right onto the M1(S) (and possibly Bawtry Rd?). But he decided to turn left instead. On the approach to the roundabout the lane markings clearly say M1(S). But the lane separation markings on the roundabout don't help, once on the roundabout where the black car is it seems as if your able to turn left, but you can't.

I often take the same route as the white car, driving in the left lane to go straight on at the roundabout, but when doing so it doesn't feel quite right, it feels as if the cars in lane 2 will turn left (as the black car did) and into your path. I always take that junction with caution. I know I'm in the right to go straight ahead, but I also know that motorists like Easy livin in lane 2 think they can turn left, but they can't.

Edited by WarPig

The black car is at fault. On the approach the white car is in the left lane which shows a white arrow indicating left for the M1 and straight on for Rotherham.

The black car had exited from the second lane which had an arrow pointing straight on towards taking him to Rotherham or further round the roundabout.

He was turning left to go onto the viaduct although he had no right of way.

Look at the road markings on the approach to the roundabout. The white car can either go left or straight on, from that lane. That is what he was doing. He did not change lane at all, he was carrying on his journey towards Meadowhall direction.

The black car made a last minute 'dive' for the exit to go on the viaduct, I believe. He was in the wrong. I've seen this a few times. The black car was cutting in. He didn't check that it was safe to do it. He was in the wrong.

He did not change lane at all, he was carrying on his journey towards Meadowhall direction.

You are correct about proportioning blame to the black car, but they are driving away from Meadowhall, not towards it. The white car was trying to take the 2nd exit onto Sheffield Rd.

---------- Post added 17-05-2017 at 19:39 ----------

What is even more worrying is that so far twice as many members who have voted on the poll are blaming the white car!!!!

That kind of sums up the abilities of drivers on our roads!!

Look at the road markings on the approach to the roundabout. The white car can either go left or straight on, from that lane. That is what he was doing. He did not change lane at all, he was carrying on his journey towards Meadowhall direction.

The black car made a last minute 'dive' for the exit to go on the viaduct, I believe. He was in the wrong. I've seen this a few times. The black car was cutting in. He didn't check that it was safe to do it. He was in the wrong.

Check the lane markings in Google maps - you will see that it wasn't actually a dive in by the black car, the way the lanes are marked (or not marked) it would be easy to see why it seems suitable to take the lane you are in onto the right lane of the viaduct.

The lane markings prior to the roundabout show that left lane is straight on or left and the middle lane show straight on only, but then there are two lanes onto the viaduct which would confuse some if they were in the middle lane as they got onto the roundabout.

Edited by bkcin

Both drivers were partially at fault for not anticipating the unexpected. Perhaps paying too much attention to road markings and not enough on what was happening around them.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine was recently involved in a similar prang on another roundabout/junction onto the M1. She would have been in the position of the white car in this video.

Warpig, I mean Meadowhall shopping centre.

How can the white car be at fault? He has priority weather he is turning left on to the viaduct or if he goes straight on.

Actually, just looked on street view and it is a bit of a strange layout that needs to be clarified.

I change my opinion to equal blame.

Edited by monkey104

The black car is at fault.

The white car was in the correct lane for either turning left under the viaduct to M1(N), or to go straight ahead to Rotherham, which it did. Look at the lane markings on the approach to the roundabout, it says M1(N) & Rotherham, so the white car is perfectly in its right to go straight ahead.

The black car was in the lane for turning right onto the M1(S) (and possibly Bawtry Rd?). But he decided to turn left instead. On the approach to the roundabout the lane markings clearly say M1(S). But the lane separation markings on the roundabout don't help, once on the roundabout where the black car is it seems as if your able to turn left, but you can't.

I often take the same route as the white car, driving in the left lane to go straight on at the roundabout, but when doing so it doesn't feel quite right, it feels as if the cars in lane 2 will turn left (as the black car did) and into your path. I always take that junction with caution. I know I'm in the right to go straight ahead, but I also know that motorists like Easy livin in lane 2 think they can turn left, but they can't.

Both cars are in lanes to go left at this junction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Meadowhall/@53.4136704,-1.4026903,3a,75y,335.06h,76.62t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s46F5987WyNpL0QU1F7M6dA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D46F5987WyNpL0QU1F7M6dA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D2.3744643%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!4m5!3m4!1s0x487977903c645bb3:0x38418092d9fe50ee!8m2!3d53.414405!4d-1.4110398

And the white car decides he's not going on the motorway and tries to go right.

The white car is at fault.

Edit - looking again on google maps, the lane markings on the approach allow for the white car to go 2nd exit which is what he tried to do. The white lines seem to allow the black car to go 1st exit, but the lane markings don't... Technically black car in the wrong place, white car didn't check though, road markings are particularly poor.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Meadowhall/@53.4136351,-1.4034509,81m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487977903c645bb3:0x38418092d9fe50ee!8m2!3d53.414405!4d-1.4110398

Satellite view demonstrates how the markings are unclear.

Edited by Cyclone

Black car completely at fault. White car fully entitled to go straight ahead from that position. Black car failed to follow road markings.

Black car completely at fault. White car fully entitled to go straight ahead from that position. Black car failed to follow road markings.

The road markings allow both the left lane and centre lane on approach to use what would be the inside lane on exiting the junction on to the roundabout.

If as it looks, the black car was trying to enter the viaduct then he is in the wrong.

If not it is the road layout that is causing the issue.

I am always cautious when coming from Shepcote lane to the viaduct for that very reason.