Treadmill vs "real" running.

Hi

I am interested to know if people train on a treadmill and how they find it compares with running outside.

I am training for the Sheffield half marathon and usually train outdoors but for a couple of reasons have started training on a TM indoors.

Firstly I suffer from knee and tendon issues when training on hard surfaces so tend to train off road but the weather and state of paths in the peaks which are so muddy at present make it hard work and I find I am slipping all over the place and mean every time I go out I come back with everything covered in mud not to mention the risk of a fall being greater.I find it harder to motivate myself to run in these conditions.

I also find the treadmill is kinder on my joints as it has a fair amount of

"give" in it.

I will always prefer running outdoors as lets be honest running on a TM is pretty boring but at times it is an easier option.

I think overall running on a TM is easier than outside you are basically running on the spot but it does seem to allow you to really push yourself by easily adjusting speed and incline ect.

My current 10k time is 50 mins on TM and will be interesting to see how that translates to outdoor times I am sure it will be slower as my outdoor equivalent seems to be about 5 mins slower.

I think the answer is probably to do both or in an ideal world stick to outdoor running its just that its not always practical.

Does anyone else do some of their training on a treadmill and how do they find it effects their times/fitness?

Paula Radcliffe stated that the incline needs to be set at +1 to replicate the resistance of outside. The TM drags your feet along and gives an advantage over the road.

I use the TM when recovering from injury. When if feel something 'going' I can stop immediately and at that point I'm not stuck in the cold miles from home.

I've used treadmills a fair bit on the past, but only as a bad weather option (don't tell anyone but I'm a southerner originally!)

+1 degrees on incline is pretty standard to replicate the effort of running on the flat outdoors.

It is easier on the joints, however this could mean that they're not being conditioned during training to withstand the race day effort - might be worth adding some strength & conditioning work to supplement if you're only training on a treadmill.

The big advantage to treadmills is that they're away from outside influences like hills or weather - if your session is 6x800m at a certain pace, you can program it in and that's exactly what you do.

The disadvantages include sheer boredom - I struggle more than an hour on the dreadmill, and the running is ever so slightly different from "real" running, as mentioned the belt will pull your feet back with it and there's no variation that make the minor ankle / knee / hip muscles fire off to keep you stable.

You're probably right in mixing it up - they certainly have a place in training, but I wouldn't want to do all the training on one!

PS - Don't forget that the Sheffield half isn't flat - if you're on a dreadmill, get some serious incline going on there every now & then :)

I also struggle on the dreadmill and don`t use them these days. I`d always opt for the outdoor option whatever the weather.

I too try to minimise the impact on joits and run on grass and tracks whenever possible even if it means having to go a bit steadier when underfoot is tricky. That said, I reckon treadmills are very useful for sessions like the afore-mentioned intervals. In the past I have injured my self doing pacey intervals outdoors on the roads and parks.

Well am going to brave a long steady run tomorrow probably the round walk route as I always try and at least keep doing the long runs outside pre half marathon.

From then on will continue with the mainly treadmill based training.

Funny a few years ago never worried about the weather but these days the amount of hassle cleaning all your clothes,shoes,water proofs and the interior of the car when I go out in the peaks on top of the discomfort of running in wet conditions makes the gym option a lot more attractive when weather is poor,must be an age thing!

Looking for a 1.50 time again this year its my 11th year in a row doing it now, probably have a better idea if thats achievable after tomorrow.

Good luck to all with your training.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 16:23 ----------

Update;

Did the 14 mile round walk "run" in 2hours 30 quite enjoyed it but rained most of the way and really muddy particularly the top field on Limb valley which was bordering on dangerous even walking with normal running shoes would have been easier with my Salamon speedcross shoes but they were not suitable for the road bits.

Think I benefited from doing it though as my muscles are feeling it now!

I've been running for years and have done both. I prefer the freedom of running outdoors. On the treadmill I constantly find myself watching the clock and it really puts me off. I also struggled to do over an hour on the treadmill. I'm also training for the Sheffield half and so far I'm upto 12 mile. Good luck

Well am going to brave a long steady run tomorrow probably the round walk route as I always try and at least keep doing the long runs outside pre half marathon.

From then on will continue with the mainly treadmill based training.

Funny a few years ago never worried about the weather but these days the amount of hassle cleaning all your clothes,shoes,water proofs and the interior of the car when I go out in the peaks on top of the discomfort of running in wet conditions makes the gym option a lot more attractive when weather is poor,must be an age thing!

Looking for a 1.50 time again this year its my 11th year in a row doing it now, probably have a better idea if thats achievable after tomorrow.

Good luck to all with your training.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 16:23 ----------

Update;

Did the 14 mile round walk "run" in 2hours 30 quite enjoyed it but rained most of the way and really muddy particularly the top field on Limb valley which was bordering on dangerous even walking with normal running shoes would have been easier with my Salamon speedcross shoes but they were not suitable for the road bits.

Think I benefited from doing it though as my muscles are feeling it now!

Great running. It is a tough route, especially at this time of year. Thought it was more like 15 miles - ? I do bits of the route regularly but not done the whole thing for ages. Doing the Round Sheffield Run in June though,

Like everyone else, I find running on a TM a bit boring.

When I do use one, I would typically do the following...

1. Run 1 mile at fast pace (and time myself).

2. Come off the TM and walk around for a bit, maybe use some other gym equipment.

3. Rinse and repeat (go back to step 1) perhaps for a total of 3 miles.

I'd really struggle to stay on one for over 1/2 hour.

Great running. It is a tough route, especially at this time of year. Thought it was more like 15 miles - ? I do bits of the route regularly but not done the whole thing for ages. Doing the Round Sheffield Run in June though,

Thanks it was tough I actually ran from home at Beauchief which cuts a bit of the main route out but also adds a bit so may be a little out my exact milage was 14.4.

The Sheffield half has about 850 ft of ascent where as according to my "map my run "app I climbed about 1526 ft so quite a bit tougher.

I find if I have the fitness it pays not only physically but mentally to run at least once a tougher route than the actual half a month or so before at a comfortable pace.

Ref boredom on the TM I try different things to stop me looking at the timer like counting my steps and also having a really good playlist on my i phone but at the end of the day its boring and can't imagine doing more than an hour on it but in terms of pushing yourself and having control its hard to beat.

Thanks it was tough I actually ran from home at Beauchief which cuts a bit of the main route out but also adds a bit so may be a little out my exact milage was 14.4.

The Sheffield half has about 850 ft of ascent where as according to my "map my run "app I climbed about 1526 ft so quite a bit tougher.

I find if I have the fitness it pays not only physically but mentally to run at least once a tougher route than the actual half a month or so before at a comfortable pace.

Ref boredom on the TM I try different things to stop me looking at the timer like counting my steps and also having a really good playlist on my i phone but at the end of the day its boring and can't imagine doing more than an hour on it but in terms of pushing yourself and having control its hard to beat.

I was feeling really positive with life until I read your post!

I have just done a 12 hour night shift followed by a 4 mile run. Needless to say I will be off to sleep shortly. :)

My limit though seems to be 10k and I never run much past that. My friend who runs marathons says that if you can run 10k you can train for a half marathon but I am not convinced.

I personally don't like treadmills because it is not the same as running outside. Surely you are just putting up a resistance to the treadmill belt, but outside you are powering yourself forwards.

I was feeling really positive with life until I read your post!

I have just done a 12 hour night shift followed by a 4 mile run. Needless to say I will be off to sleep shortly. :)

My limit though seems to be 10k and I never run much past that. My friend who runs marathons says that if you can run 10k you can train for a half marathon but I am not convinced.

I personally don't like treadmills because it is not the same as running outside. Surely you are just putting up a resistance to the treadmill belt, but outside you are powering yourself forwards.

lol sorry did not mean to de motivate you!

You certainly don't have to of run the full distance to complete the half and I know plenty of people who get good times having not run the that far in training.

If it was me I would have wanted to have run more than 10k before ,its quite a tough course in places, so would be focusing mainly on getting a couple of long slow runs in before tapering I find these give me the greatest benefit.

Plenty of training plans out there most seem to recommend you have run at least 7 or 8 miles before in training but even if you haven't does not mean you won't get round plenty of variables like overall fitness and if worse comes to worst you can always walk some of the route.

Good luck.

Edited by Fudbeer

I think a mixture of both is best. I train on the treadmill but will balance it out on some outdoor runs depending on the weather conditions