Costa Coffee in Broomhill

My mum/gran has lived near Broomhill for 60 years. Apparently, it was a very upper class tailor/dress maker. It was ran by an old gay, dwarf, couple. They wore big white wigs and lived above the shop. No word of a lie.

It was one of those shops where if you had to look at the price tag, you probably wouldn't be able to afford anything in there. My gran said they used to do garments/suits/dressers for the queen/royal circle.

All together sounds brilliantly weird, but i guess that's why you never saw many people go in, and how they were staying open all those years.

I remember the pair well,and they were the mincing midgets to locals.They had to use a step-up in the York to order their snowballs.

I was in a while back and although the shop was still open for an hour or so the upstairs was closed off and there were chairs positioned so that you couldn't use half of the downstairs bit. Basically they were saying 'Although we are technically open, we don't want your custom and hope you have a terrible visit to our cafe today'. I wished I hadn't bothered.

I've since experienced something similar in other Costas around the country so I wondered if it's company policy? In one in London near closing time one of the toilets was closed off after it had been cleaned, presumably so it was clean ready for opening time. In Scarborough the comfy chairs were cordoned off so customers don't use them and make a mess on those tables.

Generally I like the Broomhill one so I found this especially irritating. Anyone had a similar experience?

Edited by Bilge

What a load of tosh!

Bert and Fritz never wore wigs, they never lived over the shop, they lived at Greenhill. They had 'Corps Diplomatique' accredition attracting customers with taste. They employed a lot of people. Before opening up in the fifties Bert Truelove was fashions manager at Roberts Bros..

My Gran used to work for them, she lived behind the shop on Whitham Lane. A couple of times she showed us the studio/ workshop where she worked.

Try the Vietnamese coffee house on the other side of the road. It's got a great atmosphere, the coffee is superb and only £1 up until 10.30am. I think it knocks Costa into a cocked hat!

I was in a while back and although the shop was still open for an hour or so the upstairs was closed off and there were chairs positioned so that you couldn't use half of the downstairs bit. Basically they were saying 'Although we are technically open, we don't want your custom and hope you have a terrible visit to our cafe today'. I wished I hadn't bothered.

I've since experienced something similar in other Costas around the country so I wondered if it's company policy? In one in London near closing time one of the toilets was closed off after it had been cleaned, presumably so it was clean ready for opening time. In Scarborough the comfy chairs were cordoned off so customers don't use them and make a mess on those tables.

Generally I like the Broomhill one so I found this especially irritating. Anyone had a similar experience?

Yes, the other week I was sat in there reading with a coffee, shop still open for another half an hour, the barista starts hoovering right behind me. I just got up and left before I said something equally as rude.

They ought to put underneath their opening hours that we're open til 7 but we'd rather not have your custom after 6.

Edited by Colin Foster