Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

The Front Room in Hillsborough, next to Wetherspoons is nice Indian restaurant with good vegetarian food.

Akbars in West One and Aagrah in Leopold Square are also good. Maveli on West Street is more south Indian style but also very good.

Does the Front Room do take outs?

The 'ignorant' comment was more to the 'you have to be a certain type of person' statement.

As for making it look better I'm pretty sure the balti house had no influence on the main building. I hope they end up reopening somewhere but I believe they have gone their separate ways for now (into different places I mean) and i understand one if not more of the staff are now at the cinnamon spice in Penistone. An interim location didn't come off I believe.

As for other places - I ventured to Holmfirth last Thursday. First trip for a curry there but I'm less than 20 minutes away. Bengal Spice. Was excellent and will be returning regularly I think.

I like the cinnamon spice I referenced above and have enjoyed the Chilli a lodge as well despite its odd setting and reviews

Thanks for those tips - appreciated. I like Holmfirth - charming little place and there's a nice cafe/bar there called Brambles. I popped in one lunchtime a few weeks ago and the food looked really nice and they brew their own beer too. Worth a shot.

Don't know whether I mentioned it on here already but the Indian called Laxmi at Honley used to be good. Going back some years now though.

---------- Post added 16-05-2017 at 20:17 ----------

Had a takeaway from the new "Lavang" at Fulwood the other night.

I won't pass judgement on the place based on one takeaway, but what I will say is that is was very expensive for what it was. One dish, a tandoori meat platter, was £13.50. I thought there'd be enough here to use as starters for 3 or 4 of us. I was very much mistaken. The portions were very small - there was one nice piece of tandoori chicken - but apart from that very little. 2/3 pieces of chicken and lamb tikka, a seek kebab and one very small lamb chop that had been nowhere near any Indian spices.

Similar with the curries - the chicken chilli curry had 4 long thin strips of chicken in it and the rest was chopped onions and stuff to fill up the cartons.

A bit disappointing then because actually I thought the taste was pretty good. But the takeaway cost over £60 and was barely enough for the 4 of us. We can't help but compare that with Takdir take-away at Parkhead .

For example: The Tandoori Mix Grill at Takdir is £8.00 and there is enough there easily to make starters for 4 people. And the quality is excellent.

I fully appreciate that Lavang is a nice restaurant and Takdir is only a take-away. If I wanted to go to a restaurant I may give Lavang another go but if it's a take-away I'm after I think I'll definitely stick with Takdir!

Go out of Sheffield and go to Ayeshas in Dronfield. Second to none, clean, quality ingredients... I could tell you the goings on behind the scenes in some of them here...but I wont

Our current fave is Front Room Hillsboro. They have some unusual options as well as traditional curries. Food is well presented, delicious and service is excellent.

Rajiput at Commonside used to do a nice lemon curry and you take your own alcohol which can cut down on cost.

Prithiraj on Ecclesall Rd is good too

I have tried pretty much every curry place in Sheffield worth trying. For a while there were some OK ones but after a while I just settled into the Mangle as it is the best. But there is a new addition to the scene that is really excellent. It is Mirpuri Tawa on London Road near Osmens. Just ask the owner for his recommendations and you won't be disappointed. They deliver on just eat for £1. I don't often review but in this case I really wanted to because I want it to stay open!! Try it. Maybe combined with a few beers in the Beer engine or the Albion.

Curry leaf at Stavely, Chesterfield is very good, I think they have just won an award too

What about the Urban Choola on the Ecclesall Road opposite to COOP? Is it as good as I heard? Did anyone try it? If it is worth to go what is their best on the menu? Thanks.

Cafe Indus at the junction of London Rd and Sharrow Lane (formerly Urban Choola/Spoon) is worth a try. I have only had takeaways from there but they were all very good and not the usual bland offerings as from a lot of Sheffield "Indians".

Staff were very pleasant too.

Cafe Indus at the junction of London Rd and Sharrow Lane (formerly Urban Choola/Spoon) is worth a try. I have only had takeaways from there but they were all very good and not the usual bland offerings as from a lot of Sheffield "Indians".

Staff were very pleasant too.

I am presuming it is the same owners who own the Indus in Attercliffe and Connisborough , Is it licenced to sell alcohol?

Edited by allwednesday

No alcohol on sale by the looks of it. I am not sure if you can take it in?

WHAT????

Its not an indian if they dont sell Cobra :o

I can now verify you can BYO!