Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

Our family chippy have cooked in beef dripping since 25th November 1987.

They should be done by now then.

They should be done by now then.

Lol lol I better get them lifted lol. On another note McDonalds also cooked there Fries in beef dripping until 1991/1992

I agree...chips taste far better in dripping.

Which is a shame because as a committed herbivore, that means whenever I have a really nice chip it means "uh-oh...can't have any more of those!"

If you don't live in Sheffield anymore,but visit now and again it makes you appreciate how tasty Sheffield/Yorkshire Fish and Chips are from good Chippy.Even the Peas are better and you can't get proper Fishcakes

Frymaster on Attercliffe Road is a very good chippy, take away or eat in approx. £5.50 for a Cod meal to eat in, fish, chips, peas, pot of tea & bread & butter I think is a real bargain & very tastey.

If you don't live in Sheffield anymore,but visit now and again it makes you appreciate how tasty Sheffield/Yorkshire Fish and Chips are from good Chippy.Even the Peas are better and you can't get proper Fishcakes

I agree the northern fish and chips are the best. As for 'proper fishcakes' I presume you mean what I would call a Yorkshire Fishcake which are available country wide but called different things. Fish Scallop being the most popular term for them and are widely available in the south. In Lancashire they call them a Fish Scon.

Sheffield fishcakes are quite unique as they are 2 x slices of potato with a piece of fish in the middle then battered & fried, if you ask for a fishcake in other places in Yorkshire you will get a different thing altogether.

Sheffield fishcakes are quite unique as they are 2 x slices of potato with a piece of fish in the middle then battered & fried, if you ask for a fishcake in other places in Yorkshire you will get a different thing altogether.

But they aren't unique to Sheffield, just called different things in various parts of the country. I live in the south and you can get them in certain shops if you know what to ask for. Ask for a Sheffield fishcake and they won't know what you are talking about. I had one in Ramsgate, called a fish scallop, very nice it was too. I rememnber a chip shop in Perranporth selling them, the owner was from Doncaster, the called them a Fish Slice.

But they aren't unique to Sheffield, just called different things in various parts of the country. I live in the south and you can get them in certain shops if you know what to ask for. Ask for a Sheffield fishcake and they won't know what you are talking about. I had one in Ramsgate, called a fish scallop, very nice it was too. I rememnber a chip shop in Perranporth selling them, the owner was from Doncaster, the called them a Fish Slice.

They are called "fish scollops" here in whitwell. But as I am from Southeygreen they will always be fish cakes lol.

They are called "fish scollops" here in whitwell. But as I am from Southeygreen they will always be fish cakes lol.

They will always be a sheffield fish cake to me too. Funny thing is if you ask for scraps in the south you get a strange look, they call them bits or screed in the south. Again, still have them but called different things.

If you ask for a rissole it will have a savoury meat filling ... ghastly things.

I must admit to buying sheffield fishcakes when up in south yorkshire/ne derbyshire, allow them to cool whilst driving home and then freeze them. Cook from frozen at g5 for 40 minutes, they are just like they have come out of the chip shop. Mmmmm!!

They will always be a sheffield fish cake to me too. Funny thing is if you ask for scraps in the south you get a strange look, they call them bits or screed in the south. Again, still have them but called different things.

If you ask for a rissole it will have a savoury meat filling ... ghastly things.

I must admit to buying sheffield fishcakes when up in south yorkshire/ne derbyshire, allow them to cool whilst driving home and then freeze them. Cook from frozen at g5 for 40 minutes, they are just like they have come out of the chip shop. Mmmmm!!

A man comes in my chippy when visiting his family, he tells me when he is going home (Milton Keynes) so I know to cook extra 10. He takes them home and freezes them too. He lets them defrost and deep frys them. Each to there own.

A man comes in my chippy when visiting his family, he tells me when he is going home (Milton Keynes) so I know to cook extra 10. He takes them home and freezes them too. He lets them defrost and deep frys them. Each to there own.

I've found that if you defrost them before cooking they go soggy but cooking from frozen they retain their crispness. I must give your place a try when up there, you have some cracking reviews.

They haven't a clue down here, mostly using frozen chips for the holiday makers, unwilling to label the fish cod or haddock, just 'fish'. £6 is not unusual for 'fish' and chips. Rick Steins in Padstow wanted £9.50 for takeaway fish and chips ... to be honest I'd want him cooking it personally for that.

These days Rick Steins are all over the place as franchises