EE Withdrawing email accounts.

As you may be aware EE is to withdraw email support from 31 May 2017.

If you have one of the following email addresses>

Orange.net

Orangehome.co.uk

Wanadoo.co.uk

Freeserve.co.uk

Fsbusiness.co.uk

Fslife.co.uk

Fsmail.net

Fsworld.co.uk

Fsnet.co.uk

Then you have had it! They are reccomending switching to Gmail (which is insecure and won't be accepted by banks etc.)

Having had my Freeserve address for over 20 years I am pretty pooed off:rant: to say the least.

What are people doing to change?

I am thinking of switching from EE to an ISP that provides an email account (e.g BT Internet, dodgy) or setting up a stand alone email using say 1&1 or Fasthosts which means I can switch ISP in the future without affecting my email address.

I would want a web based email together with POP access.

Any thoughts?

Not sure why you think Gmail is insecure, as it's exactly the sort of thing you are looking for.

Numerous reports of hacking events into gmail, also banks and other institutions not accepting a gmail address.

Guest sibon
Numerous reports of hacking events into gmail, also banks and other institutions not accepting a gmail address.

My bank is fine with gmail. As is my employer.

If you are happy with your current ISP it seems a bit extreme to change it just for an email address. As you say, it may be better to have an email address that is standalone. Don't know of the ones you mention but it is quite easy (and cheap) to purchase a domain and have it hosted, possibly by your current ISP if they provide such a service. Shouldn't be very expensive and you can have various aliases which can help to reduce spam. On the subject of Gmail there are other free email services e.g. gmx, Outlook, Zoho. I find Outlook nice to use but Zoho has a lot of features and is also good.

As you may be aware EE is to withdraw email support from 31 May 2017.

If you have one of the following email addresses>

Orange.net

Orangehome.co.uk

Wanadoo.co.uk

Freeserve.co.uk

Fsbusiness.co.uk

Fslife.co.uk

Fsmail.net

Fsworld.co.uk

Fsnet.co.uk

Then you have had it! They are reccomending switching to Gmail (which is insecure and won't be accepted by banks etc.)

Having had my Freeserve address for over 20 years I am pretty pooed off:rant: to say the least.

What are people doing to change?

I am thinking of switching from EE to an ISP that provides an email account (e.g BT Internet, dodgy) or setting up a stand alone email using say 1&1 or Fasthosts which means I can switch ISP in the future without affecting my email address.

I would want a web based email together with POP access.

Any thoughts?

Since when was gmail insecure and not accepted by banks? :huh:

---------- Post added 07-03-2017 at 10:03 ----------

Do you have a link for that? I work in IT security so I'm a little surprised by your post.

My bank is happy with my ancient Yahoo account, and they're the worst.

Email is considered insecure because most messages do not have 'End to End Encryption' (E2EE). Further, we are not

likely to get because of the Investigatory Powers Act usually called the Snoopers Charter, see the following link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/30/investigatory_powers_act_backdoors/

Anyone interested in E2EE should enter the following into their favourite search engine

email end to end encryption

Haha gmail insecure and something run by EE implied to be safer! Good one.

Email is considered insecure because most messages do not have 'End to End Encryption' (E2EE). Further, we are not

likely to get because of the Investigatory Powers Act usually called the Snoopers Charter, see the following link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/30/investigatory_powers_act_backdoors/

Anyone interested in E2EE should enter the following into their favourite search engine

email end to end encryption

Have just put in search engine and surprisingly came back with both Gmail and Yahoo now offering it to customers! :hihi:

---------- Post added 08-03-2017 at 13:01 ----------

Regarding OP issue of Tiscali account - I did have a quick browse the other night but got distracted before able to reply. Found an archive element but related to Mobile Phone provider and that the advice there was to change the port to 587? Don't know if that would work in this situation though.

i think what he meant by insecure is i know years ago, "free" email addresses like hotmal and Gmail weren't accepted for certain things i seem to remember reading once upon a time. but we've come on a lot since then, i've been using my hotmail address since about 2000, and been using my gmail address not long after it started, in fact i have 2 but not logged into one for a while. i think its more to do with anybody can get a hotmal / gmail email address and do whatever, ditch it, get a new one and obviously an isp one means you're on that isp so need to look after it better?

Edited by melthebell

i think what he meant by insecure is i know years ago, "free" email addresses like hotmal and Gmail weren't accepted for certain things i seem to remember reading once upon a time. but we've come on a lot since then, i've been using my hotmail address since about 2000, and been using my gmail address not long after it started, in fact i have 2 but not logged into one for a while. i think its more to do with anybody can get a hotmal / gmail email address and do whatever, ditch it, get a new one and obviously an isp one means you're on that isp so need to look after it better?

I've not used an ISP based email account since I swapped from using Hotmail (from 1996) to Gmail back in 2006, and I've never had a problem with it for anything. I wouldn't touch an old Freeserve style POP account with a bargepole these days.