The "I am currently reading" thread

Just finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.

It'd been recommended to me as a must read modern classic? I thought it was pretty good, very perceptive and ultimately devastating tale of American suburbia, set around a psuedo-intellectual American bloke and his family.

I believe there's been a film of it with DeCaprio and Winslet playing the lead couple.

Just finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.

It'd been recommended to me as a must read modern classic? I thought it was pretty good, very perceptive and ultimately devastating tale of American suburbia, set around a psuedo-intellectual American bloke and his family.

I believe there's been a film of it with DeCaprio and Winslet playing the lead couple.

The film is disappointing compared to the book. I love Richard Yates and have read quite a few of his, if you liked Revolutionary Road have a look at Young Hearts Crying.

The film is disappointing compared to the book. I love Richard Yates and have read quite a few of his, if you liked Revolutionary Road have a look at Young Hearts Crying.

Hi, thanks for the pointer on the other book! I've also read Eleven Kinds of Loneliness (the short stories) and really enjoyed it. I've heard mixed reviews of the RR film, I'm sure I'll get round to watching it one day.

Just started Dirty Thirty: Heroes of the Miners' Strike by David Bell. Seems to be exactly as I expected, interesting enough so far though.

A Time of Torment by John Connolly.

Another Charlie Parker thriller with mystical overtones.

M Train by Patti Smith. I've only just started this but it's looking good far. Autobiographical tales glowing with Patti's warmth and honesty.

Plodding through "The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared". its amusing enough, but a bit meh... I can't seem to warm to it.

More Golden Age detective fiction for me with The Brooklyn Murders by G.D.H. and M. Cole (though apparently this one was probably by Mr Cole by himself).

The Bickman Fuse by Andrey Kurkov...... really hard going. I appreciate the ideas and stuff but it is grind...On. And. On. And. On. And........ on

Plodding through "The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared". its amusing enough, but a bit meh... I can't seem to warm to it.

Not read the book but enjoyed the film and thought it funny.

Why Did You Lie by the outstanding Yrsa Sigurdardottir.

Icelandic Noir at it's very best

Why Did You Lie by the outstanding Yrsa Sigurdardottir.

Icelandic Noir at it's very best

I read Ashes to Dust by this author a few weeks ago, she really is excellent.

Just started on Runemarks by Joanne Harris... Enjoying it thoroughly.

Ive just finished 'Broken & Betrayed' by Jayne Senior, the whistleblower in the Rotherham CSE scandal.

Its easier to read than I expected as its really about the unbelievable cover up, and doesnt go into too many details of what the poor girls were subjected to.

Just started 'End of Watch' by Stephen King.

Its the third of the books about retired detective Bill Hodges and Im enjoying it. I knew I would though as I really liked the first two (Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers)