Old dog with Kennel Cough

I've got a dog who is almost 18, two weeks ago she had two days of sickness which stopped after the vet gave her tablets and an injection, followed by 9 nights of relentless coughing day and night.

We have been back and forwards to the vets four times in this time, and she's been diagnosed with kennel cough.

As its viral antibiotics are pointless its just got to work its way out on its own, although she was trescribed cough mixture.

She's absolutely exhausted by morning, I've been up all night every night with her for 11 night's then going to work which I don't mind for a moment being up with her.

It would break my heart to let her go, but I have wondered if I'm being kind to her because of her age and how long kennel cough can last although she's eating and lively enough.

What are your thoughts

Dogs can develop post viral bronchitis and the cough sometimes persists for up to six weeks. It might be helpful to go back to the vet and ask him for a course of steroids to suppress the inflammation. Antibiotics might be useful if there is secondary bacterial infection. Having said that, is your vet absolutely certain that this is kennel cough? There are other causes of persistent cough such as heart/lung disease and tumours. Misdiagnosis of kennel cough is probably not all that uncommon.

I would like to hope she's sure, we've been four times this week.

Her chest is clear so no problems there.

I gave my 2 rescue dogs cold tea with milk to drink when the had kennel cough and it eased the cough every time !

Some dogs are lactose intolerant so should not be given milk. This would only work at the level of soothing the throat. There is nothing in it that is medicinal.

All back to normal.

I never giver her anything but water to drink, and have been giving her warm water these last few weeks.

We swear by Manuka Honey here at Rain Rescue and we deal with KC a lot, but there is lots of fake stuff for sale, Steens is a reputable genuine brand go for 20+ UMF.

However also get the vet to check her heart and lungs coughing in older dogs can be heart related. But always follow your vets advice, hope she's better soon.