EE Withdrawing email accounts.

I've not used an ISP based email account since I swapped from using Hotmail (from 1996) to Gmail back in 2006, and I've never had a problem with it for anything. I wouldn't touch an old Freeserve style POP account with a bargepole these days.

yeah cant remember when i last used or needed an isp based one, what with long standing hotmail and 2 gmail ones :P

I've not used an ISP based email account since I swapped from using Hotmail (from 1996) to Gmail back in 2006, and I've never had a problem with it for anything. I wouldn't touch an old Freeserve style POP account with a bargepole these days.

'Added' Think CIA and online server storage, nooo nooo.

I understand that but I have had my Freeserve email since when it first started and it is a bit sentimental, this was the first time you could access the internet from home for freeish, though you had to pay per minute (was it 1p) and you could designate the Freeserve number as a BT friend so you could get it free over the weekend (or something like that) Happy Days! I miss the sound of a 56k modem in the morning!

Anyway, propblem solved. After going to speak to a Zombie at the desk in EE on the Moor yesterday( Freeserve? what's that) I made a decision. I have now set up my own domain with email provision. Through Fasthosts.co.uk (already had a website with them but had forgotten it was with them)

Two 2GB mailboxes plus 5 100Mb boxes for effectively £2.30 ish a month with your own domain registration and total control as to how they are managed.

BELTER!

Edited by illuminati
fish

'Added' Think CIA and online server storage, nooo nooo.

I understand that but I have had my Freeserve email since when it first started and it is a bit sentimental, this was the first time you could access the internet from home for freeish, though you had to pay per minute (was it 1p) and you could designate the Freeserve number as a BT friend so you could get it free over the weekend (or something like that) Happy Days! I miss the sound of a 56k modem in the morning!

Anyway, propblem solved. After going to speak to a Zombie at the desk in EE on the Moor yesterday( Freeserve? what's that) I made a decision. I have now set up my own domain with email provision. Through Fasthosts.co.uk (already had a website with them but had forgotten it was with them)

Two 2GB mailboxes plus 5 100Mb boxes for effectively £2.30 ish a month with your own domain registration and total control as to how they are managed.

BELTER!

Yep, this is the way. Now allow all emails addresses to that domain and then have website specific emails so sf@sgtkate.com or ebay@sgtkate.com

this way you can see if anyone is selling your details on and blacklist that account etc.

That's exactly what I do, and I have the emails routed to my google account, which then forwards them to my yahoo account.

I caught out the AA using my comparethemarket@ address just the other day and called them both out on twitter, they were quick to apologise...

I'm puzzled why anyone would use an EE email address, or a BT one, or Virgin...As at some point sooner or later (assuming you're using those services currently) you're bound to change supplier, and therefore lose the email address. Or at least I'm sure it would be a lot more convoluted to use them.

I've had a hotmail address for donkeys years, and never had a problem with banks or anyone else.

That's exactly what I do, and I have the emails routed to my google account, which then forwards them to my yahoo account.

I caught out the AA using my comparethemarket@ address just the other day and called them both out on twitter, they were quick to apologise...

I agree, it's a nice way of seeing how people have used your email address. You can do it with Gmail too; just use the + in your address and you can filter it in Gmail.

e.g. myemail+comparethemarket@gmail.com

I agree, it's a nice way of seeing how people have used your email address. You can do it with Gmail too; just use the + in your address and you can filter it in Gmail.

e.g. myemail+comparethemarket@gmail.com

Yes, it's a nice feature for Gmail to have and I wish more people started using it then perhaps there would be less spam in the world...I can dream. When I started using it a guy with a website who was being accused on selling details and/sending spam contacted me to see if I could filter any mails on that address to see if he had a leak in his company! Fair play to the guy who was concerned that one of his staff might have been dodgy, I never got a bit of spam to that address so I suspect the accusations where unfounded! Sorry for the O/T there just found it interesting.