Sheffield Cathedral Bells

Hi all,

I have been living in the city centre for about 2 weeks now and am wondering whether there is a timetable for when the Cathedral bells ring? It is a Saturday and they have been ringing for about 5 hours now and it's driving me and my flatmate insane while we're trying to study. They've already woken us on Sunday mornings, but we expected this living so close. What we didn't expect is it ringing for hours on end on multiple days of the week. I don't want to sound like a moaning neighbour but it's really not fair! If there is a timetable please share it so we know when to be out :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I think they only ring twice a week,

from Mon to Fri

from Sat to Sun

Hi all,

I have been living in the city centre for about 2 weeks now and am wondering whether there is a timetable for when the Cathedral bells ring? It is a Saturday and they have been ringing for about 5 hours now and it's driving me and my flatmate insane while we're trying to study. They've already woken us on Sunday mornings, but we expected this living so close. What we didn't expect is it ringing for hours on end on multiple days of the week. I don't want to sound like a moaning neighbour but it's really not fair! If there is a timetable please share it so we know when to be out :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Welcome to Sheffield, I hope you have enjoyed your first 2 weeks in our city. Just to get things in perspective, you have been here for 2 weeks but the bells have been rung there since 1689.

http://www.sheffieldcathedral.org/bells-and-bell-ringers/

Welcome to Sheffield, I hope you have enjoyed your first 2 weeks in our city. Just to get things in perspective, you have been here for 2 weeks but the bells have been rung there since 1689.

If you are unable to help, or not prepared to, why not just say so

Well obviously the bells are rung for the 2 major Sunday services @1000-1030 and 1600-1630. Also for any special services on Sunday. Then there are weddings, training on Thursday evenings and the odd occasional special service during the rest of the week. Also sometimes they do a "peal" as part of the ringers portfolio

As for today, if I recall correctly I read that the regional heats of the National Ringing Championships are being held in Sheffield soon, it may even be this weekend which would account for the long period of ringing.

Now, as the Sunday bells are @1000 I dont want to be too critical, but getting woken up at 10 wont be too much of a harm to you :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturges_v_Bridgman

...it's only a matter of time.

Well obviously the bells are rung for the 2 major Sunday services @1000-1030 and 1600-1630. Also for any special services on Sunday. Then there are weddings, training on Thursday evenings and the odd occasional special service during the rest of the week. Also sometimes they do a "peal" as part of the ringers portfolio

As for today, if I recall correctly I read that the regional heats of the National Ringing Championships are being held in Sheffield soon, it may even be this weekend which would account for the long period of ringing.

Now, as the Sunday bells are @1000 I dont want to be too critical, but getting woken up at 10 wont be too much of a harm to you :)

That would explain why they've been ringing the whole weekend - thank you!

Lived in the Gladstone buildings last year, as far as I remember they only ring for considerable lengths of time on Sunday and (I think) Thursday evening when the bell ringers practise.

It does get easier, soon it won't bother you so much.