Annoying pop ups on Sheffield Forum.

Is anyone else getting an annoying pop up on SF?

Adverts are Ok but I keep getting an annoying flashing advert for Iphones.

When I click the corner x to shut it down it goes full screen and starts a dialogue.

To me that goes way beyond acceptable advertising.

When I click the corner x to shut it down it goes full screen and starts a dialogue.

Yes, I've just seen that one. It isn't a pop-up, as such; it's just an annoyingly misleading ad: the 'x' close button is actually part of the ad itself so, as you discovered, if you click on it you open up the ad.

the X should shut the ad down, if its not then they are in breach of online advertising codes

and if the site carrying the adverts continue to allow it then they are allowing it to continue knowing these facts and can also be fined

Me too, not acceptable

I started a thread about this yesterday. The AD has annoyed a lot of people. The thread has disappeared however. My guess is that SF cannot get rid of the advert.

I started a thread about this yesterday. The AD has annoyed a lot of people. The thread has disappeared however. My guess is that SF cannot get rid of the advert.

if its in their ad rotation software, its as simple as deleting the call header url that they are issued with, if your thread was deleted then it sounds like this site knows about it and are choosing to ignore the problem

if its in their ad rotation software, its as simple as deleting the call header url that they are issued with, if your thread was deleted then it sounds like this site knows about it and are choosing to ignore the problem

My thread certainly disappeared after a few other people answered it and also complained about the AD. As you say SF obviously know about it.

Here's the ad.

Here's what you get when you click on the 'x'. For me, the ad opened in another tab.

You'll notice that the 'winner' appears to reside in Leicester. That's probably a function of my ISP whatsit being in Leicester; someone connecting to a Sheffield-based ISP server will likely have that as the previous winner's location.

Contact the Helpdesk, I'm sure the Mods would like to know about this.

Guest sibon
My thread certainly disappeared after a few other people answered it and also complained about the AD. As you say SF obviously know about it.

It doesn't necessarily follow that the right people know about it. They do now, because I've just reported it. I can't do anything about the ads as a Moderator, the Admin team need to know.

It would help if such things were reported in future. In this case, I read the thread yesterday and noticed the new thread today. So, it is just luck that I've seen it and reported it.

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't jiggle around when it's on.....Could ignore it then. I too tried to X it yesterday and finished up going off altogether to start again......:roll:

Then if disappeared and I thought it had been sorted.

Edited by Joanl

yes i agree. i had a rant about this yesterday on another thread opened by someone else,but the thread was removed....i assume though that was for a very good reason as there seemed to be some very dubious postings.

i regret now that i posted a reply to that thread.i shall be more cautious in future.