What happens at Networking Events?

Hello,

I've decided that I'm going to start attending networking events..

I've never been to a networking event in mylife, how does it work?

Is it like speed dating? (I.e. 2 min with each person then you go to next person)

Any advice appreciated....Also..Can you recommend any networking events coming up in the next few weeks/month?

:D:D

Not a clue about what to do on these events. I am considering going on this one. http://www.scci.org.uk/event/show/29 £40 though and you have to be there at 7.30am. I wouldn't fancy moving around that much while eating breakfast either. Anyone else been to one of these breakfast things?

I go to the Doncaster Chamber free monthly meetings, but they are free within the membership, not free to everyone. They dont hold them in July or August due to holidays and I try to get to the quarterly breakfast ones where possible.

TBH the quarterly's aren't as busy, because they share the venue between the 4 locations of the chambers, but those with furthest to travel tend to appear least e.g. the next one in Sheffield will be least attended by Doncaster members. The Doncaster one gets 80+ at their own meetings (90+ at the June one held at the airport) and I bet there isn't much more than that at the SY quarterly one.

You get a full English breakfast first, a bit of chat from chamber staff, and usually 3 table shuffles, so take plenty of business cards. You get a 2 minute pitch round the table at each shuffle.

Anybody wanting to meet up on arrival, let me know and we'll try and get a table together to start with, as i'm already booked on for the 8th Sep at SWFC.

They used t give discounted Chamber membership to start ups at Sheffield Chamber, not sure if they still do, you'd have to ask. It was reduced to £99 + VAT from about £150 ish.

Networking is great for creating relationships with other businesses and springboarding new ideas. When you feel lacking in speed a good breakfast meeting gets you running again.

Hopefully I will be able to attend the 8th Sept meeting so save me a place on your table please Indizine. The SWFC meeting is £40 to non members of the Sheffield Chambers but only £19.99 to members.

I'll lookout for you Kipper - except dont know your real name or who you are! Will you be wearing a Kipper tie or waving a smoked kipper so I can identify you?:D

I go to the Doncaster Chamber free monthly meetings, but they are free within the membership, not free to everyone. They dont hold them in July or August due to holidays and I try to get to the quarterly breakfast ones where possible.

TBH the quarterly's aren't as busy, because they share the venue between the 4 locations of the chambers, but those with furthest to travel tend to appear least e.g. the next one in Sheffield will be least attended by Doncaster members. The Doncaster one gets 80+ at their own meetings (90+ at the June one held at the airport) and I bet there isn't much more than that at the SY quarterly one.

You get a full English breakfast first, a bit of chat from chamber staff, and usually 3 table shuffles, so take plenty of business cards. You get a 2 minute pitch round the table at each shuffle.

Anybody wanting to meet up on arrival, let me know and we'll try and get a table together to start with, as i'm already booked on for the 8th Sep at SWFC.

They used t give discounted Chamber membership to start ups at Sheffield Chamber, not sure if they still do, you'd have to ask. It was reduced to £99 + VAT from about £150 ish.

Thanks guys,

Can I ask - How soon do you, in general, get a response from the cards you've handed out?

I've just ordered some business cards from printing.com on Division St.

there isn't a time response thing on handing out business cards. Much like distributing leaflets, if you happen to had one to someone who needs what you are selling, and they like what they see and hear about you and your business, they will usually send you an email or call you up, either pretty soon after the event of when they are ready which could be weeks or months later.

Anyone wanting business cards, you can get 250 double sided, nice quality digital print due to the low volume, 400gsm, for £20 no vat, no delivery, delivered within a few days. You need to supply the artwork. PM me if you want the contact email address.

Hi All,

I am considering attending one of these myself, also joining the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce. When is the next one and do you find that you're membership to the COC pays?

Regards

We hold a monthly networking event which is free to attend.

Its for people involved in the property market but our next one in October (the 29th) is a general overview of the economy with guest speakers

Clive Betts MP

and

Kevan Keegan (the economist, not footballer)

see www .sheffieldpropertynetwork .co. uk for further details

if your a young businessman or woman and you want to network u really should join the sheffield branch of the JCI- they have loads of events on when u can network and there a real nice bunch of people-

http://www.jci.cc/local/sheffield

This is a really interesting thread.

Having spend most of my 'serious' work life down in London all my business contacts are based either down there or in Manchester and Chester. I would be really interested in attending a networking event to make a few business contacts in Sheffield (i need contacts in Sheffield desperately).

Scottf - i'll have a look at the link you post, thanks for that.

Are these sort of events any good for finding out about vacancies in the area? My head office is based in London and i'm looking to base myself locally a bit more now my family life has changed.

let me know if you need any more info stockers :D