Merkel warns Trump against ' protectionism' policies

Merkel has warned Trump against having ' protectionism' policies that could damage global trade. Trump wants to cut imports into America the two he already got his sights on are China and Mexico not doubt more will be following. Is this an case of history repeating itself of America withdrawing into isolation like they did in the 1930s.

Merkel also warned that such policies could cause another crash like in 2008. Could Merkel be right on this if America withdrew itself from outside involvement would final trade slow and become harder ?

Merkel has warned Trump against having ' protectionism' policies that could damage global trade. Trump wants to cut imports into America the two he already got his sights on are China and Mexico not doubt more will be following. Is this an case of history repeating itself of America withdrawing into isolation like they did in the 1930s.

Merkel also warned that such policies could cause another crash like in 2008. Could Merkel be right on this if America withdrew itself from outside involvement would final trade slow and become harder ?

I think it's a trend that's already in America that trumps latching on to. I'd guess s far higher proportion of Americans want to "buy American" than we want to "buy British".

I think it's a trend that's already in America that trumps latching on to. I'd guess s far higher proportion of Americans want to "buy American" than we want to "buy British".

I'm sure they do.

Nevertheless, it doesn't stop asset-strippers from buying those same companies and sending the jobs and wages to China.

Isn't that what the last Republican nominee did ? Forgotten his name already, thank goodness.

Damn. Just remembered.

Mitt Romney, that's him.

He's a Mormon (the second m is silent)

He criticises Obama in the last election campaign, demanding Obama bring jobs back to America. Yes, those same jobs Romney was sending overseas :|

It is one of the most striking things about his economic policies. He will create jobs through protectionism, but this will be at the cost of international trade, when other countries follow suit.

The other thing I am waiting to see are the anti establishment tax cuts for the rich.

History will show us what he achieved.

It is one of the most striking things about his economic policies. He will create jobs through protectionism, but this will be at the cost of international trade, when other countries follow suit.

With our trade deficit, the UK manufacturing industry would benefit from some protectionism.

Perhaps Sterling being lower will help that.

With our trade deficit, the UK manufacturing industry would benefit from some protectionism.

Perhaps Sterling being lower will help that.

Thats what the EU is, but if you want to go the way of tariffs, then other countries reciprocate and retalliate with the end result being less trade overall and everyone loses. The US is slightly different because it is six times the size.

Thats what the EU is, but if you want to go the way of tariffs, then other countries reciprocate and retalliate with the end result being less trade overall and everyone loses. The US is slightly different because it is six times the size.

In Countries with trade barriers, the tariffs account for up to 25% of their total tax take, just think how that could fund our NHS and lower income tax.

In Countries with trade barriers, the tariffs account for up to 25% of their total tax take, just think how that could fund our NHS and lower income tax.

Companies don't absorb the tariffs - think what it would do for the prices of goods in the shops.

But if we're exporting much less, there are less jobs, less profits and spending power so we don't import as much. Why do you think nobody has tried it recently?

But if we're exporting much less, there are less jobs, less profits and spending power so we don't import as much. Why do you think nobody has tried it recently?

China and India, the worlds largest and sixth largest economy are both big on tariffs; free trade is not the only thing that countries do.

I am sure the Conservatives would love you to believe tariffs are bad, the USA do tariffs too. Are tariffs bad, I dont know, but can they be used for the benefit of people, yes.

You seem to forget it would mean less trade for us abroad. Do you tbhink we need international trade? We tax them they tax us and less trade happens. 25% of not a lot is not a lot. You would also make your own industries less competitive by taxing goods they needed to operate. think what that would do for inflation.

China and India, the worlds largest and sixth largest economy are both big on tariffs; free trade is not the only thing that countries do.

I am sure the Conservatives would love you to believe tariffs are bad, the USA do tariffs too. Are tariffs bad, I dont know, but can they be used for the benefit of people, yes.

India have dropped their mantra of protectionism and general isolation massively over the past 20 years. Why do you think they've got loads more money and a space programme all of a sudden?