Dilemma: To give or not to give that is the question

Along with my RHS magazine there are always a number of leaflets and it now seems the mandatory charity appeal leaflet. This month it is a Sightsavers leaflet. Asking for Just £5 to "save his sight" With a picture of a little boy in obvious distress.

I don't have a lot of spare money I have put off getting new spectacles myself until I have had some treatment on one of my eyes. So I appreciate that eyesight is precious and also that money has to be used carefully.

The leaflet really tugged at my sympathy and empathy strings. However when I looked at the sightsavers site to give a donation I was stopped in my tracks as the form would not let me donate without giving my address. The leaflet gives me a choice to leave my address out. As it happened I also saw that the CEOs salary was just over £119,000. I was shocked. So much out of the money raised was going to the head of the charity. When I looked at other charities they all had similar or even more huge amounts going to CEOs.

Now I am torn.Do I give? knowing that much of the donations people are thinking will help save the sight of people in very bad circumstances or not. Or should I give instead to an organisation that is run completely by volunteers but to help people set up beekeeping businesses in the same country.

Along with my RHS magazine there are always a number of leaflets and it now seems the mandatory charity appeal leaflet. This month it is a Sightsavers leaflet. Asking for Just £5 to "save his sight" With a picture of a little boy in obvious distress.

I don't have a lot of spare money I have put off getting new spectacles myself until I have had some treatment on one of my eyes. So I appreciate that eyesight is precious and also that money has to be used carefully.

The leaflet really tugged at my sympathy and empathy strings. However when I looked at the sightsavers site to give a donation I was stopped in my tracks as the form would not let me donate without giving my address. The leaflet gives me a choice to leave my address out. As it happened I also saw that the CEOs salary was just over £119,000. I was shocked. So much out of the money raised was going to the head of the charity. When I looked at other charities they all had similar or even more huge amounts going to CEOs.

Now I am torn.Do I give? knowing that much of the donations people are thinking will help save the sight of people in very bad circumstances or not. Or should I give instead to an organisation that is run completely by volunteers but to help people set up beekeeping businesses in the same country.

Chief Executive Officers earn between £41,268 - £184,642 I would assume it was a large charity.

The average pay for a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is £94,884 per year.

Forget about the charity, until you have bought your own new glasses.

You'll find your CEO at sight savers will probably have lots of volunteers working for him. CEOs have big budgets to work out and lots of responsibility but should they get paid more or less (and some charities it's more) the same as our prime minister? Answers on a postcard.

Chief Executive Officers earn between £41,268 - £184,642 I would assume it was a large charity.

The average pay for a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is £94,884 per year.

AND? Your Point Is

---------- Post added 07-01-2017 at 19:44 ----------

Forget about the charity, until you have bought your own new glasses.

There will always be something that I want or need do you think that I should not give until I have become rich enough to never have to wait for anything. Except my Funeral of course.

AND? Your Point Is

---------- Post added 07-01-2017 at 19:44 ----------

There will always be something that I want or need do you think that I should not give until I have become rich enough to never have to wait for anything. Except my Funeral of course.

You are moving the goalposts now. Either you can or can't afford a new pair of glasses.

You are moving the goalposts now. Either you can or can't afford a new pair of glasses.

The goal posts are in the same place. There are always priorities.

Most charities have sympathy pictures on them. When you think about it, why wouldn't they?!

Should you give or not? Well, when putting [a few coins] money into a charity box in a shop it's not a major thing, but if charities are asking for regular monthly payments, then I'd be checking things first.

I wouldn't necessarily get put off my a CEO wage though M Ma. With big charities it's always going to seem high (if no one got paid and was entirely volunteers, then it would unlikely find anyone to run a big one well) - that's probably why they end up big, because they are well run.

I'd look at what % money goes to the cause, and what they spend the money on. It's often not what the 'picture' says. There was a big TV campaign on last year, and when I looked into it, the TV ad was absolutely nothing to do with what they spent money on.

If you don't like the CEO wage, then don't donate to this one. Simple as that.

Charity doesn't work. It changes nothing.We've had years of this and billions donated. It is a money making machine with CEOs cashing in and the organisations themselves sitting on vast wealth.

It's more obscene than the situation of those in need.

Human greed. Human condition.

Charity most definitely DOES work! I happen to be the treasurer of a local charity, and believe me, things would not happen, things would not get bought, and many, many people would suffer if it was not for the generosity of millions of people.

I was hoping to open up debate and it seems we have just got going. The % issue would be well worth looking at.

Charity doesn't work. It changes nothing.We've had years of this and billions donated. It is a money making machine with CEOs cashing in and the organisations themselves sitting on vast wealth.

It's more obscene than the situation of those in need.

Human greed. Human condition.

I agree with smithy.

We support the British Heart Foundation. Much of the money raised by them is used on research into different heart conditions. Without this vital research, many more people like my husband would have died. A positive change IMO.

If it wasn't for some charities, we'd all be paying more tax to fund necessary research and care. No one is forced to donate, and if they want to support a charity but don't have much money, volunteering is a good option.