Refusal from freeholder to sell

Hi

Looking for advice. I have approached estates management who act on behalf of our freehold owner as myself and 3 other house owners want to buy the freehold. After 2 weeks they have written back to say that they aren't interested in selling! I thought we had a right to buy under the common hold and leasehold act 2002? Is this right and would we need a solicitor to do this?

Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9432/leaflet.pdf

The above link has a lot of detailed info on the act you mentioned. However, it mainly concerns flats. If you are all owners of individual houses then you have the right to enfranchise once you have owned the lease for over 2 years. You can do it without a solicitor, but that is not a very good idea. Your solicitor will serve notice on the freeholder on your behalf. I think the Act you should be referring to is The Leasehold Reform Act 1967, for houses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9432/leaflet.pdf

The above link has a lot of detailed info on the act you mentioned. However, it mainly concerns flats. If you are all owners of individual houses then you have the right to enfranchise once you have owned the lease for over 2 years. You can do it without a solicitor, but that is not a very good idea. Your solicitor will serve notice on the freeholder on your behalf. I think the Act you should be referring to is The Leasehold Reform Act 1967, for houses.

Yes. The 1967 Act relates to houses; the 1993 Act relates to flats.

The 2002 Act merely tweaked some of the others' wording and created RTM (Right To Manage).

But none of these involves RTB (Right To Buy) which:

a. affects Council-let houses/flats with Secure Tenancies; and

b. is governed by part V of the Housing Act 1985.

Hi

It is 4 of us on one street that each own our house and all are well over 2 years. I think we will look to ask a solicitor to be involved. I asked them 2 years ago and they wanted 125 just to enquire for a price so I didn't go ahead at that time.

---------- Post added 13-10-2016 at 18:21 ----------

Thanks Jeffrey

Is it worth persuing or could it be a lengthy expensive battle?

It is 4 of us on one street that each own our house and all are well over 2 years. I think we will look to ask a solicitor to be involved. I asked them 2 years ago and they wanted 125 just to enquire for a price so I didn't go ahead at that time.

Do NOT pay £125- or anything else at this stage- to E&M.

I won't. Can you recommend anyone for this? It's a company called fair holdings no 3 based in London who seem to have many companies

I won't. Can you recommend anyone for this? It's a company called fair holdings no 3 based in London who seem to have many companies

The Fairhold Group are sometimes difficult in dealing with sales to leaseholders. Ensure that your solicitor knows about them or contact me off-thread.