Where to live in Sheffield? Young family moving from overseas

Hey everyone! We're moving to England end of August (that's me, my wife and our ~2yo daughter). My office is gonna be near Meadowhall, and I'm currently looking to shortlist some areas where we should be looking to live.

I've already gone over a lot of threads (old and new) and I'm overwhelmed with info, so I thought better to open a new discussion. We're thinking about a three bed house to rent for around £600-£700 per month. Our preference would be a family friendly neighbourhood, parks, daycares/schools, transport connections. Of course it's not *required* to have everything as that's not always possible, but the more the better.

From what I've read already I'm thinking about S6 and S7 (I'm completely confused about specific areas in them atm). There's also Rotherham which is around 10 min drive from my office with good prices, but I'm not sure how good that area is.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions :)

600-700 will get you something suitable in most of Sheffield but you'll find it harder (but still possible) in what many people think of as the "nicer" areas (between 6 and 10 o'clock if you think of the city as a clock face). For parks, transport links and family friendly you would do well to look at Meersbrook (wonderful park, lots of young families, good primary schools and close to the city centre), Woodseats, Walkley, Nether Edge and around Hunter's Bar. You'll be pushed to the top of your budget though most likely.

Thanks amazon123! This is very helpful. I hadn't looked in Woodseats and Nether Edge yet. I guess we can push the budget a bit if something really nice pops up. Let's see how it goes.

Also, I'd like to find a good balance between a nice area and a good commute time to work (S9).

Edited by umar_m

Whiston in Rotherham is nice, you should get a nice house for that amount and it's not that far from Meadowhall.

Thanks amazon123! This is very helpful. I hadn't looked in Woodseats and Nether Edge yet. I guess we can push the budget a bit if something really nice pops up. Let's see how it goes.

Also, I'd like to find a good balance between a nice area and a good commute time to work (S9).

Of the areas I listed, I would choose Woodseats last personally (just my opinion) as it seems a little rough around the edges. Nether Edge is central, has some wonderful houses but also has its share of problems (gang-related) on some of its roads. Meersbrook is very safe and pleasant and borders both (it would be my choice of those three). I would imagine Walkley would be most convenient for travel to S9 though as it's to the north of the city.

if your working at meadowhall area why not look at hillsborough its got the tram and good schools and other facilities supermarkets, swimming baths etc and now two yes two costas :)

Two Costa? Is there a new one?

Two Costa? Is there a new one?

Oh yes, old KFC shop next to Leppings Lane tram stop. Looks just about ready to open.

---------- Post added 25-07-2016 at 21:37 ----------

if your working at meadowhall area why not look at hillsborough its got the tram and good schools and other facilities supermarkets, swimming baths etc and now two yes two costas :)

And a nice park. Woodseats is nice but Hillsborough would be more convenient for Meadowhall, like Narden Dee says.

Edited by Olive

As you say you will be Based on the M1 corridor there are many places to chose, from Ba;rnsley, Chapeltown Tinsley to Handsworth etc

Edited by WestTinsley

WestTinsley, that's precisely the problem :)

Before posting here I had Hillsborough and Walkley at the top of my list. Good to know I was looking at the right places. And now a new Costa!! :D

I'll also add Meersbrook and Nether Edge to my list.

In areas a bit farther, I may be able to get a more spacious place (2 floors instead of 3 for example) in the same budget. A quick search in Whiston showed the same. I'll also check out Chapeltown and Mosborough/Waterthorpe. I guess the other places mentioned may be a bit too far. But I guess I can only really know once I'm there.

Hello again everyone. So I'm looking at some options now. One is in Hillsborough, I know already about that. The other two options are in Brinsworth and in Norton Lees. What are the opinions about these areas?