First time buyer's worries - Roof repairs

Hello there

I am going to my first property and have found one so called 'dream house'. However, I notice that the roof of the property doesnt seem to be in a good condition. There is no damp patch or crack or any sight of leaking from the roof inside the property though. My understanding from the current tenant living there is that it has only been maintained as and when in the past 7 years.

I dont have any knowledge of this aspect and am concerned that it would cost me a lot of monies to fix it in a couple of years time if I decide to buy this property. I managed to take a couple of photos of the front roof from a kind neighbour there.

Can I anyone share some thoughts?

Is it easy to fix?

How much it cost to fix it?

Thanks

---------- Post added 11-04-2016 at 09:21 ----------

Oh dear! Couldnt figure out how to upload photos.

Hi Manchao, upload the pictures to a photo sharing site (Imgur for example) and link to them on here.

Roofs can be very costly and you are right to be concerned about it in any case. I strongly advice you get a full survey done, my experience is that when buying an older house they are always worth it.

We bought a house in the Netherlands and got a hefty discount on the list price because the survey revealed woodworm in the rafters and dry rot in part of the wooden floor. We argued that the roof had to be replaced as well as several floor joists and the vendors agreed to go 50/50 on the roof and pay in full for the floor.

In another house we looked at, the surveyor found that the DIY-knowledge of the previous owner had led to a very nice looking house that was structurally unsound due to not quite knowing what he was doing.

Like I said, it is always worth getting a full survey done, it will save you so much pain later on.

Hello there

I am going to my first property and have found one so called 'dream house'. However, I notice that the roof of the property doesnt seem to be in a good condition. There is no damp patch or crack or any sight of leaking from the roof inside the property though. My understanding from the current tenant living there is that it has only been maintained as and when in the past 7 years.

I dont have any knowledge of this aspect and am concerned that it would cost me a lot of monies to fix it in a couple of years time if I decide to buy this property. I managed to take a couple of photos of the front roof from a kind neighbour there.

Can I anyone share some thoughts?

Is it easy to fix?

How much it cost to fix it?

Thanks

---------- Post added 11-04-2016 at 09:21 ----------

Oh dear! Couldnt figure out how to upload photos.

If you're worried about any unforeseen problems that the house could cause you, you could get a full structural survey.

Thanks, both. Yes will get a full survey done if I decide to go ahead. Just thought it would be best to get some ideas first. Here are the photos :

Part of the roof (only the roof on the right hand side)

http://imgur.com/a/juw7t

http://imgur.com/DQ70ui0

The roof doesnt seem to have any immediate issue, but i am concerned that it seems to be in a bad condition which may lead to a major repair soon in a couple of years time.

Thanks

It's hard to tell much from the photos.

Thanks, both. Yes will get a full survey done if I decide to go ahead. Just thought it would be best to get some ideas first. Here are the photos :

Part of the roof (only the roof on the right hand side)

http://imgur.com/a/juw7t

http://imgur.com/DQ70ui0

The roof doesnt seem to have any immediate issue, but i am concerned that it seems to be in a bad condition which may lead to a major repair soon in a couple of years time.

Thanks

Reassure V that you do want to buy (subject to contract) BUT at a price reduction to pay for the problem. This might be:

a. the cost of remedial works; or

b. the difference between the values of property without the problem and with the problem.

Hi everyone,

I need your advice, in my flat was huge leak from the roof which caused damaged whole kitchen floor.The insurance company requested from me the letterhead with breakdown materials and work which I introduced them with invoices and receipts. They back to me saying that cost of the damages was £2000, but excess of leaks was £250 and was 4 leaks in the flat together so can me refund only £1000.

Could you advice the insurance company in obligated to refund all cost of damages caused by leaks from the

roof of my flat ( the roof it is insured by the Landlord of the building ).

Please help and advice. Thank you in advance!

---------- Post added 15-11-2016 at 22:02 ----------

Edited by Zahir764