Admiral insurance [Pirates]

I feel that i must share my daughters recent experience of dealing with her car insurance with Admiral. she has been with Admiral for three years having her citroen C1 insured with them on a monthly direct debit agreement. she is over forty and has never had an accident or made a claim on her insurance. she replaced her citreon C1 for a vauxhall corsa and phoned Admiral to transfer her ins on to the corsa thinking that her monthly direct debit payments would stay approx the same. what a shock she got when they increased her monthly d/debit payments from £44.50 to a staggering £71.50 for such a similar same size car. when she complained about such a huge increase she was told that it was because,as it was a new and strange car to her their was more chance of her having an accident until she got used to the car. when my daughter said that she would cancel her insurance and look elsewhere as she had already been given a quote for the vauxhall corsa online equal to her original citroen C1 ins ,Admiral relied saying that there would be a cancellation fee of £49.50 plus extra charges for days up to the cancellation day amounting to over £90. how they arrived at this figure baffles me as by paying from the first of the month i should be covered until the end of the month without any penalty charges if i cancelled before the end of the month. my daughter has reluctantly decided to stay with Admiral until her policy expires naturally so that she wont have to pay these grossly unfair charges , Admiral should rename themselves Pirate as in my opinion thats exactly what they are.:rant::huh:

Sadly nearly all insurers have horrible clauses around fees in the T&Cs. If you genuinely think these charges are being wrongly applied or are unfair or grossly out of proportion you can take your case up with the Ombudsman, but firstly you will need to make a formal complaint in writing to the insurer to let them try to resolve it first.

Did you or your daughter get a full quote of the charges so you can go through the listed fees on the T&Cs? That would be a good place to start. If there are wrong ones on there or they don't add up then you've a good case.

It all depends on how long is left on the poilicy. There will have been a price difference between the C1 and the Corsa, this is then spread over the remaining term of the policy and that is your new monthly payment. There will have probably been an admin fee aswell for changing her details, Swinton charged me £25 just to change vehicles. The cancellation fee will all be explained in the very very small print of her insurance documents.