Rotherham PR consultant paid £850 per day, twice a week. Worth it?

Look North reported this evening that Rotherham council is spending £850 per day to a PR consultant for two days each week (£9,613 spent so far, since November). Can that be justified? If so, how? Is it worthwhile?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/election-politics/politics-and-election-news/exclusive-scandal-hit-rotherham-council-hires-850-a-day-pr-man-to-improve-image-1-7217774

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-32381838

In my opinion, this stunt will backfire.

I don't know why they're bothering, after all you can't polish a turd.

Mind you I work in a public sector organisation and the cuts are affecting front line support to members of the public who use the service, but a fortune is spent on marketing, 'business partners', public relations and the like.

Still I'm sure that the huge amount of money that the PR consultant, is good PR for the council :rolleyes:

Rotherham will take many many years to recover, maybe never, it'll all be down in public records somewhere

Rotherham will take many many years to recover, maybe never, it'll all be down in public records somewhere

Indeed. Once public officials can prove that they have integrity, are competent & public spirited will trust be regained. A PR consultant will just create more cynicism.

No, but you can roll it in glitter...:)

Look North reported this evening that Rotherham council is spending £850 per day to a PR consultant for two days each week (£9,613 spent so far, since November).
£850 a day? That's quite cheap, especially considering the task at hand.

Can that be justified? If so, how? Is it worthwhile?
Objectively, there's no easy answer to that one, because it's still early days.

It can be justified, quite easily, on the basis that the town's image laid (probably still lies) in tatters after last year, but must be repaired soonest if R'ham is to preserve, and attract further, job-creating investments. Image-building and -repairing is what PR is all about, and a long haul job at that: the ages-old saying is still as true, that it takes years to build a (good) reputation, but mere seconds to lose it.

In that context, £9k in 6 months to "sort" R'ham's image is less than a pittance, might as well pee in a violin to try and get a tune.

It's absolutely worthwhile...but whether it's enough, that only time will tell.

In my opinion, people who don't understand what PR is about, nor how much good PR costs, will believe you.

You can if you put in the freezer overnight! :hihi:

Look North reported this evening that Rotherham council is spending £850 per day to a PR consultant for two days each week (£9,613 spent so far, since November). Can that be justified? If so, how? Is it worthwhile?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/election-politics/politics-and-election-news/exclusive-scandal-hit-rotherham-council-hires-850-a-day-pr-man-to-improve-image-1-7217774

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-32381838

What have they actually done for that money???

I can't remember seeing any publicity (that wasn't horrendous) for Rotherham Council.

---------- Post added 21-04-2015 at 13:12 ----------

It can be justified, quite easily, on the basis that the town's image laid (probably still lies) in tatters after last year

Many Rotherham residents were not even prepared to admit their home town last year.

Alot had switched to saying they were from Sheffield as they felt so ashamed for what had gone on in Rotherham.

People not wanting to live in Rotherham or work for RMBC is a serious problem that will inevitably hurt the people of Rotherham. Paying an expert to help improve it's image and promote positive changes is a good idea.

People not wanting to live in Rotherham or work for RMBC is a serious problem that will inevitably hurt the people of Rotherham. Paying an expert to help improve it's image and promote positive changes is a good idea.

There aren't vast swaths of people leaving Rotherham, we know our council is useless and we have learned to accept that they will never provide the service for which we pay. The best way to improve their image is to do what they are paid to do.

and maybe if they gave up those responsible for the crimes committed, instead of stubbornly protecting them the people might have some respect again???

There aren't vast swaths of people leaving Rotherham, we know our council is useless and we have learned to accept that they will never provide the service for which we pay. The best way to improve their image is to do what they are paid to do.

I never said there were large swathes of people leaving but people do leave and who will be wanting to move into the area to replace them? It will eventually deflate house prices and drags the area down as it becomes increasingly less desirable... and it wasn't that desirable to start with.

The council isn't useless but has had serious leadership problems like many other places. I've done some work there and I know the vast majority of staff are good at their jobs and hard working. We should not be writing them off as a rotten lot. With the right leadership they can get back on track but it is up to the people of Rotherham to ensure they get the right leadership - they voted in people who created the political correct culture that dis-empowered ordinary staff and allowed what happened to happen. If they continue to blame 'the council' for what happened then we will see the best staff leaving the sinking ship and all you will get in to replace them are the people nobody else wants... then you really will have a rotten council.