Magpies - what to do?

Evening all :D

I am an avid nature lover....

But am increasingly perturbed by the burgeoning population of magpies in our garden, and the cost to other local birdlife.

What to do?

Should I buy my own air rifle and start picking them off? There were 7 at the last count - I'm assuming from the same mum and dad pairing from the last 3 or 4 years.

Does the council do anything for magpies?

I don't want to harm these creatures - they're rather lovely individuals - but they really seem to be taking over!

Advice please :help:

Love

As Always

Sol

:)

Sol I Googled and found this advice might suit you.

Keep a loaded water gun handy on the deck and shoot the birds whenever you see them. (Pellets or scatter shot from other types of guns could harm neighbours.)

Plant marigolds. Magpies are averse to strong odours. Scatter moth balls around your yard.

Ask your butcher for scraps and lace the meat with hot peppers or pepper spray. You may wish to do this only when you can keep an eye on the bait to ensure no other animals or small children come in contact with it.

Good luck!

Rose Anne

Goodluck! :thumbsup:

But am increasingly perturbed by the burgeoning population of magpies in our garden, and the cost to other local birdlife.

What to do?

Should I buy my own air rifle and start picking them off? There were 7 at the last count - I'm assuming from the same mum and dad pairing from the last 3 or 4 years.

I don't want to harm these creatures - they're rather lovely individuals - but they really seem to be taking over!

Love

As Always

Sol

If you can catch them and paint 'em up to look like giant wasps I'll have 'em ... I need around 10,000 (still).

Sol I Googled and found this advice might suit you.

Keep a loaded water gun handy on the deck and shoot the birds whenever you see them. (Pellets or scatter shot from other types of guns could harm neighbours.)

Plant marigolds. Magpies are averse to strong odours. Scatter moth balls around your yard.

Ask your butcher for scraps and lace the meat with hot peppers or pepper spray. You may wish to do this only when you can keep an eye on the bait to ensure no other animals or small children come in contact with it.

Good luck!

Rose Anne

Goodluck! :thumbsup:

Hi Sunshine! :wave:

Thanks for the advice fair Jot - will see what I can do :)

The same question could be asked about cats.

The BTO recently did a study that concluded magpies did not significantly reduce the numbers of others birds.

I can't post a link cos I'm in bed with my phone but I'm sure you can find it.

I'd rather cull the Maltese.

If you can catch them and paint 'em up to look like giant wasps I'll have 'em ... I need around 10,000 (still).

Is it just magpies you want, or is this a valid way to get rid of the plentiful pigeons that keep waking me up?

Have you tried a fishing rod and reel dear LOL

"To discover whether magpies could be to blame for the decline, the RSPB commissioned the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) to analyse its 35 years of bird monitoring records.

The study found that songbird numbers were no different in places where there were many magpies from where there are few. It found no evidence that increased numbers of magpies have caused declines in songbirds and confirms that populations of prey species are not determined by the numbers of their predators. Availability of food and suitable nesting sites are probably the main factors limiting songbird populations"

"Perceived as a major enemy of smaller birds, Magpies hop and cackle around our towns and cities like the garden bird mafia. Importantly, however, BTO research demonstrates that Magpies are not a cause of declines in songbirds at a national scale. "

The same question could be asked about cats.

The BTO recently did a study that concluded magpies did not significantly reduce the numbers of others birds.

I can't post a link cos I'm in bed with my phone but I'm sure you can find it.

I'd rather cull the Maltese.

That is SO sad Taxman:D

But am increasingly perturbed by the burgeoning population of

What to do?

Should I buy my own air rifle and start picking them off? There were 7 at the last count - I'm assuming from the same mum and dad pairing from the last 3 or 4 years.magpies in our garden, and the cost to other local birdlife.

Love

As Always

Sol

Yes, only a true nature lover would want to kill living things.:rolleyes:

Have a good hard look at yourself in the mirror and try to come to terms with your rather hypocritical ways.

Whenever I see a single magpie I always say 'I salute you Mr Magpie' - My ex used to do it as he said it warded off bad luck - not that it's worked of course, I've had more bad luck already to last me a lifetime. Very silly superstition I know, but it's a habit I can't get out of!