UK can't access BBC future website because we didn't fund it

You can't access this story unless you go proxy

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120413-communicating-in-a-crisis

So I went proxy to see if my access to BBC site funded by UK tax payers is available to the rest of the world and apparently it is.

Talk about double standards.

Still, I didn't find out what the original story was about.

"UK can't access BBC future website because we didn't fund it"

"So I went proxy to see if my access to BBC site funded by UK tax payers is available..."

"...it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially..."

What's not to understand?

What's not to understand?

I'm not sure what part of what I wrote you don't understand.

Maybe you didn't know what I meant by proxy?

When some one from Spain for example visits http://www.bbc.co.uk they don't get a message saying; Sorry, this site isn't available in your country because it is funded UK Tax payers.

I do know what proxy means, but thanks for explaining in case I didn't, John.

Maybe I'm being dense, but if "we didn't fund it"*, and it "is not funded by the licence fee"**, then how is it "funded by UK tax payers"***?

* quote from your thread title

** quote from your link

*** quote from your OP

I'm not sure what part of what I wrote you don't understand.

Maybe you didn't know what I meant by proxy?

When some one from Spain for example visits http://www.bbc.co.uk they don't get a message saying; Sorry, this site isn't available in your country because it is funded UK Tax payers.

There are many areas of the BBC website which isn't available abroad, and the entire website comes with adverts, which go towards funding it (albeight the adverts don't neccessarily appear on every page). International access of the BBC website is paid for by BBC Worldwide, not the licence fee. Try using your foreign proxy to watch sports coverage, or using iPlayer.

The BBC Futures website may well not be available here because it references content which isn't available in the UK, or there is alternative, better options elsewhere on the BBC website which cover the same material.

I do know what proxy means, but thanks for explaining in case I didn't, John. Maybe I'm being dense, but if "we didn't fund it"*, and it "is not funded by the licence fee"**, then how is it "funded by UK tax payers"***?

** quote from your link

*** quote from your OP

His point is the BBC have a site that we in the UK can't access because it (in their words) "isnt funded by taxpayers or license fee". AKA we haven't paid for it so we cant have it. Which on it's own might be fair enough.

However the BBC have bbc.co.uk which is part funded by the licence fee. So John went via proxy to simulate being Johnny Foreigner.. to see if they could access bbc.co.uk, which 'they' (the foriegn hoardes) haven't paid for. He found that they can...

His bone of contention being, why can't we access something by the BBC (because WE haven't paid for it)... yet Johnny Foriegner can..

I do know what proxy means, but thanks for explaining in case I didn't, John.

Maybe I'm being dense, but if "we didn't fund it"*, and it "is not funded by the licence fee"**, then how is it "funded by UK tax payers"***?

** quote from your link

*** quote from your OP

The BBC website is funded by UK tax payers, but available worldwide.

The BBC futures website is not funded by UK tax payers, and so is not available in the UK.

I think this is what hes trying to say.

Thank you one and all. The veil has been lifted fom my eyes.

sod taxpayers, i pay my license fee, that funds the bbc i SHOULD be able to access ALL the bbc has to offer

ive moaned before about not being able to access radio sheffield for football matches as i dont live in the sheffield area

its my team, i pay my license, should be able to listen to ANY bbc coverage i so wish

how can they say its not funded by the license fee? the bbc IS funded by the license fee, surely they cant break it down into individual pieces

That's interesting.

BBC worldwide is a company owned by the BBC but not part of it, It's is seeded with licence fee payer funded content - but in a trickle-down effect of the privatisation of programme making at the BBC a few decades ago - it's now contributing about 10% of the BBC's income, by selling BBC and other British broadcasting content worldwide, as you might expect.

This is a slighty weird arrangement, but I'm prepared to let them go with it (and not complain or moan) because:

a)I could view it with a proxy if curiosity got the better of me, and

b)it's giving more bang per buck for the cost of licence fee.