New Zealand - Opinions Please

I'm thinking about moving to New Zealand to look for work and would like peoples opinion on the place. I'm primarily looking at Christchurch but would consider other places in NZ, so if anybody has been there I'd be grateful for their input on how friendly the people were, how the general ambience of the place was and anything else you think I should know.

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about moving to New Zealand to look for work and would like peoples opinion on the place. I'm primarily looking at Christchurch but would consider other places in NZ, so if anybody has been there I'd be grateful for their input on how friendly the people were, how the general ambience of the place was and anything else you think I should know.

Thanks in advance.

Nice people, I've got familly down there. However they are very fussy about who they let in so anyone who thinks Christchurch is looking for immigrants right now is probably going to not be let into the country.

Have not been to New.Zealand but this place Tarunga with a 120 000 population in the north east island looks awesome.

24 degrees centigrade average max in summer---perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauranga

I was born there, Palmerston North north island my dad was in the New Zealand army after the war,I came back to England with my Mum and Dad when I was 15

it is a lovely country but I only have childhood memories of the place,we still have good friends there who we keep in contact with, most of the money and work is around Auckland in the far north of the country Wellington is also a busy place,they are not having a very good time of it at the moment financially,it is a bit hard to get in the country they only seem to want the academics and trade people especially medical people and doctors ect,it is a fab country to bring kids up and the people generally are friendly towards Poms,if you fit the criterion you should have no problems getting in,don't get ripped off with some of these company's that say they can organize every thing for you as most of it you can do for your self.

My cousin and her husband live in Palmerston North! He is a lorry driver and she is a secretary, it was YEARS before they were allowed in! It would have to be something pretty major before they'd move back.

I went to New Zealand for 6 weeks a couple of years ago and i would love to live there if the opportunity came my way. I believe to move over there you need a trade and i also heard there is a long waiting list.

I have family in Christchurch, and it is still in a state of utter chaos after the earthquakes and subsequent aftershocks. Many of the buildings are gone or unsafe, and there is ongoing liquifaction I understand.

A shame as apparantly it was a beautiful city.

I think you'll find that you should find a job, and have a confirmed offer, before you go, unless you are in one of the exempt professions. I may be wrong as things change.

I lived in Auckland for several years and only visited Christchurch when I hitch hiked around the country. I loved Auckland and if you are of a sporting nature then this would suit. I found Christchurch a little sober compared with the rest of the country but it is in a beautiful setting.

The first question you might ask yourself is:

Why on earth would they want me?

Not illogical. The world has been around for a while.

New Zealand has been around for a while.

Are they short of people? What did they do in the past when they were short of people?

Are they short of skills? Do you have a skill which is in short supply in NZ?

If the answer to the last question is YES! go there. If it's not YES get a skill they need and then apply again.

When you get a solid 'YES' go there.

You might get in without... but the Kiwis (like everybody else) do need a group of low-paid workers who are prepared to accept peanuts to do the jobs other people don't want to do at low rates just to stay alive.

Thanks for all the replies people.

Someone I was working with last winter set off to work in Australia and New Zealand for 2 years on a work visa, a year in each. If I remember right he found Australia more accomodating and easier to find work in. The climate is better there too. You may find Australia a better option.