Cycling and virility

Apparently, men who cycle run the risk of reducing their virility and women also risk damaging their bits too. It's all in the shape of the saddle you see. Any cyclists here with children who can disprove this theory.

What gets me is that people must actually get paid for doing this type of research WHY :?:

A few grumpy, just-got-out-of-bed thoughts:

If there isn't already a word for it I'm going to call this the Cyclops Fallacy (CF): Only looking at one side of research/a debate.

1. Without a control group no amount of 'cyclists with children' will 'disprove this theory'. Research would need to compare groups such as cyclists with children and non-cyclists with children. (CF).

1a. I imagine experimental design would be difficult, as it is in lots of social science, eg if I cycle 1, 2, 3,... etc days a week for 2, 5, 10,...km when do I become 'a cyclist'? If I'm self-reporting am I self-reporting honestly? Saddles are different shapes, so I need 100 cyclists with saddle X, 100 with saddle Y, etc etc etc.

2. Is the alleged/reported/(non-existent?) risk of reduced virility due to rubbing saddles outweighed by the well-known significant major health benefits of regular vigorous exercise? Even in the case that the research was reliable and found that, say, cyclists had 17.138%* fewer children due to saddle issues this needs to be set against the, say, 84.227% of cyclists who find that keeping fit and healthy means their appetite ;) is larger than most, and as a consequence there are children all over the place. (CF).

3. Having got some of that off my chest I'm feeling slightly more generous and will venture that some valuable health research was carried out in good faith and was distorted by a stressed out hack with a deadline to meet and a desperate need for a sex-related story.

Could you post a link to the report?

*Another rule of thumb: The more accurate a stat is (in a desperate bid for authenticity) the less likely it is to be true. :suspect:

A bloke wrote to a journal complaining

"Since cycling,I have been unable to get an erection for three months"

A poll of cyclists agreed that an hour was considered to be the median time and that three months was impossible.

Try Prozac.

Lance Armstrong 4 times Tour De France winner

Lance won the Tour seven times. All that b####y effort. You can't just leave them out!

Lance discusses cancer and quitting in Dodgeball

:)

How did this get dredged up?

This thread is 8 years old! :o

Oh, and I have no problems in the underwear department, just for balance...:D

This thread is 8 years old! :o

You know how I felt better after I'd got all that off my chest?

Not any more.

:mad:

Although it's a very long time since the OP started this thread, there are two words for anybody who wishes to counter the claim that cyclists have problems in the bedroom department:

Mark Cavendish.

Not only did he do rather well in a seriously hard and long Tour de France, but he also apparently fathered a baby at some point during the Tour.

Although it's a very long time since the OP started this thread, there are two words for anybody who wishes to counter the claim that cyclists have problems in the bedroom department:

Mark Cavendish.

Not only did he do rather well in a seriously hard and long Tour de France, but he also apparently fathered a baby at some point during the Tour.

It must have been on his rest day.