Advice needed re recruitment process for teaching assistants

I would like some advice on being a Teaching Assistant in a Primary School. What do Headteachers look for when they are employing someone in their school, and the qualifications I would need for thiss role.

Any comments from current Teaching assistants would be very grateful, I could really do with some help, advice and encouragement at the moment. I am currently studying a degree course am on the 2nd year of it but really want to change my path.

thanks.

Can anyone tell me is NVQ level 2 and 3 in teaching assistants involve being assessed whilst your voluntary in a school?

Yes it does, I am currently doing the level 2 and the tutors come into the school to assess you.

Thankyou brumpts, are you enjoying it? and in what way are you assessed? i read somewhere that your practically assessed through observation and discussion, or is it on a portfolio of evidence that you gather?