Sheffield chamber of commerce membership - is it worth the money?

Thinking of joining- they seem to have good networking events- is it worth the fee? Anyone a member here?

I am considering joining, what's the fee?

£99 + vat for new start-ups (up to 6 mths) or £149 for others- dont quote me on that though

Hullo, Anyone there? does anyone use this forum?:(

We're all too busy trying to start our new businesses.

Just had a look on their website and signed up to a course at the Mega Centre next Monday so I'll update what it was like.

Anyone had luck at any of the business link seminars? I have one booked for November, the advantage being that these are free!

Yeah I can see that! :)

I used to be a member of Barnsley Chamber of Commerce and found it to be a complete waste of £150. Maybe I didn't make the best of my membership but I had the feeling that I had just paid the fee for them to send me lots of mail trying to sell me places in workshops and seminars. Other people may have had more positive experiences tho'.

What I have found to be far more effective is joining the BNI. The cost is a fair bit more than the Chamber of Commerce but in just 4 weeks, I have already nearly made my membership fee back. Again, this may not be everyone's cup of tea and it depends what your trade is - but they are just my personal experiences.

You can attend two BNI meetings as a visitor and there are a few chapters in Sheffield, so I would recommend that you at least have a look for yourself. It's an early start but I have found it works.

Kind regards,

Andy

Hullo, Anyone there? does anyone use this forum?:(

I'd give it more than a day, usually i'd rephrase my question after almost a week. But if you look through the older posts this topic is raised almost every week afresh.

However, with anything, it's what you put in as to what you'll get out of it. I hear many people talk of networking events, but to me they sound more like an excuse to fatten ones' belly. Many companies seem to send their young reps to sharpen their claws and ahem chat up the drunk purchasers in a bid to entice them in on the chase.

Yeah, expect a lot more junk mail, not just through the door but also on the phone and via email. For me, all this just made it a hindrance and wasted more time.

Don't get me wrong, I may sound pessimistic but they are a lovely lot down at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce, very helpful, knowledgeable, etc.

Maybe enquire as to being invited along to a trial event before you join.

If you meet with the government funding business advisors Senta you can get your membership for free.

I've been a member since January (although their admin to provide me with my pack is not something to be desired) and I've got a few leads from it, certainly not worth £150 for me personally so glad I didn't pay for it.

For larger businesses that will take full advantage of networking events I could see it being useful.

i have just joined, will see how it goes and give it a trial, will be doing some live art demonstrations for them at the networking events at some point in the future, but

i would say its may be most useful networking, depends what you may want from it at the end of it,!

Just checked your website, interesting projects there, nice one.

I went to one of the Sheffield Business Week events yesterday and I thought it was really good. It cost £10 + VAT to non members but if I'd have planned my week better, I would have joined and gone to as many as possible. I met a few potential customers there and I thought the seminar was great - really thought provoking.