Inner City Living

As the amount of inner city apartment stock increases I wondered what people who already live in one think of it. My thoughts are that most of these apartments are very confined with little or no access to green areas as the Peace Gardens appear to be the only one. Also most of them don't have a balcony or roof garden, would you prefer it if they did?

Parking is also an issue, do you manage without a car or do you pay contract parking fees? Does the city centre amenities and a short walk to work make up for the green areas and ample parking found in districts close to the centre?

I have never set foot in one of these apartments so have no knowledge of what they are like, do you love your choice or are you having regrets?

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate here. :)

I am living in a house, but sometimes I wish I didn't. I did look at the West 1 complex when it was started to be build a couple of yrs ago. Some apartments are 'open planned'. Even though you think the actual size is small, when you see it in real life it feels a lot more spacious than it is. Maybe modern minimalistic decor makes you think this. I wanted a little bit of green space, and a garden for BBQ, but I have no time to maintain it. So, yes, I do wish I had bought a flat. Less maintainence, and I'm able to use my time for other things.

Positive points about city living is that it's close to the many amenities. If you choose well, you will get a good view from your windows. Certain locations are close to parks. So u have a bigger green space. You spend less on travel costs if u work in the city centre, but more on council tax. Some 'duplex' apartments are designed in a way that allows you access to a roof garden.

I think the point of city living is that you dont really need a car, so positive points are that you dont have to fork out for a car, another positive is that your maintenance/repair bills are limited, so its easy to budget.

Size is a negative but you get used to it very quickly, and as a single person or a couple what do you really need with a big house with several rooms.

Personally spekaing i live in the city centre in a small flat, which ahs been perfect for the past two years, i would like to move a bit further out to get a garden. I think a lot depends on the stage of live you are at, if you are just starting a job and going out a fair bit then the city centre is ideal. If you a bit more settled and stay in a bit more then location is less important.