Labour Beasts of England

Hello each, For those interested there is a 5 part reading (Bill Neigh) of George Orwells Animal Farm available on playback at BBC Radio 4 Extra website.

If you want to know how, Stalin and Hilter did it just give it a listen. Nulabor seem to be using the same techniques, slander,smear. fear mongering.

its all historyphil

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out.

I can just imagine Squealer as a Nulabour spin doctor.

I can just imagine Squealer as a Nulabour spin doctor.

"Nulabour" - get up to speed - the term has hardly been used on here since 2011 and was been around yonks.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 21:49 ----------

Hello each, For those interested there is a 5 part reading (Bill Neigh) of George Orwells Animal Farm available on playback at BBC Radio 4 Extra website.

If you want to know how, Stalin and Hilter did it just give it a listen. Nulabor seem to be using the same techniques, slander,smear. fear mongering.

Distinct lack of salt-mines, extermination camps, secret police, murder of opponents - not a very good analogy.

Edited by Longcol

Hello Longcol. Its not an analogy its a Fable. Have you read the book, by your comments it seems not ? Do you know the history of George Orwell in fighting Stalinist and hilterite totalitarianism, it seems not?

Just because the term Nulabor has not been used since 2011 does not mean they are not still around, read any comments of Tony Blair over the past couple of weeks.

you a Bit of a troll Col

Hello each, For those interested there is a 5 part reading (Bill Nighy) of George Orwells Animal Farm available on playback at BBC Radio 4 Extra website.

Orewell got several ideas from the Sheffielders he met when doing his research for the Road to Wigan Pier he lived in Sheffield for several weeks. I've seen photo's of (all 6' 4") of him standing outside the hall at the bottom of Pinstone Street in exhibition at Kelham Island.

its all historyphil

Yes I have been listening to that.

The road to wigan pier is a good book,

Hello each, For those interested there is a 5 part reading (Bill Nighy) of George Orwells Animal Farm available on playback at BBC Radio 4 Extra website.

Orewell got several ideas from the Sheffielders he met when doing his research for the Road to Wigan Pier he lived in Sheffield for several weeks. I've seen photo's of (all 6' 4") of him standing outside the hall at the bottom of Pinstone Street in exhibition at Kelham Island.

its all historyphil

Don't all political persuasions use slander,smear and fear mongering, come to think of it isn't that what you're doing right now?

Don't all political persuasions use slander,smear and fear mongering, come to think of it isn't that what you're doing right now?

Er No. Pointing out that it appears that the techniques of propaganda warfare that were once the preserve of the military and spooks in times of national struggle and by totalitarian regimes to psychologically enslave their populations are now being used against the people of the UK by a political elite is noble.

for alternatives to your thoughts See The Nolan Principles The Seven Principles of Public Life were defined by the Committee for Standards in Public Life .

They are:

• Selflessness Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest. They should not do so in order to gain financial or other benefits for themselves, their family or their friends.

• Integrity Holders of public office should not place themselves under any financial or other obligation to outside individuals or organisations that might seek to influence them in the performance of their official duties.

• Objectivity In carrying out public business, including making public appointments, awarding contracts, or recommending individuals for rewards and benefits, holders of public office should make choices on merit.

• Accountability Holders of public office are accountable for their decisions and actions to the public and must submit themselves to whatever scrutiny is appropriate to their office.

• Openness Holders of public office should be as open as possible about all the decisions and actions that they take. They should give reasons for their decisions and restrict information only when the wider public interest clearly demands it.

• Honesty Holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest.

• Leadership Holders of public office should promote and support these principles by leadership and example.

Edited by Historyphil

Er No. Pointing out that it appears that the techniques of propaganda warfare that were once the preserve of the military and spooks in times of national struggle and by totalitarian regimes to psychologically enslave their populations are now being used against the people of the UK by a political elite is noble.

Sounds like you want to be psychologically enslaved by a 'politically elite' whom you regard as noble, is that what you're trying to say?

for alternatives to your thoughts See The Nolan Principles The Seven Principles of Public Life were defined by the Committee for Standards in Public Life.

You don't know what my thoughts are so please don't try to pigeonhole me, I don't fit into anyone's narrow minded cliche and don't follow any political party and I certainly wouldn't try to slander, smear and fear monger one bunch of slimeballs for the benefit of another bunch of slimeballs.

Given his thoughts about Sheffield I am both surprised and momentarily encouraged to find a thread focussing upon George Orwell in this forum.

It strikes me that was he said about the city shares both the contemporary critique and the prophetic redolence that can be found in both Animal Farm and 1984.

I love the passage in The Road to Wigan Pier where the boarding house landlady passes a piece of bread to him replete with an enormous dirty black thumbprint: a wonderful piece of first person reportage.

Sounds like you want to be psychologically enslaved by a 'politically elite' whom you regard as noble, is that what you're trying to say?

You don't know what my thoughts are so please don't try to pigeonhole me, I don't fit into anyone's narrow minded cliche and don't follow any political party and I certainly wouldn't try to slander, smear and fear monger one bunch of slimeballs for the benefit of another bunch of slimeballs.

i'm Not able to read minds but you try to do so, possibly food for thought would have been a better phrase from me. You introduced pigenholing so not guilty there. but what about the Nolan Priciples? Would you abide by them or expect your elected politican to abide by them?

---------- Post added 23-08-2015 at 20:17 ----------

Given his thoughts about Sheffield I am both surprised and momentarily encouraged to find a thread focussing upon George Orwell in this forum.

It strikes me that was he said about the city shares both the contemporary critique and the prophetic redolence that can be found in both Animal Farm and 1984.

I love the passage in The Road to Wigan Pier where the boarding house landlady passes a piece of bread to him replete with an enormous dirty black thumbprint: a wonderful piece of first person reportage.

Hello, I have very mixed feelings about our Eric but he went and put himself in harms way when tramping, living in squalor and dicing with death. He does say that he realises that his salvation is only a street away so he's not like the poseur in the Pulp song Common People. re 'prophetic redolence' = future smells, stench of rot, appreciate the use of the language. Thanks