Brook Lane, Hackenthorpe

Anyone live/lived on Brook Lane in Hackenthorpe, after doing research into my family it looks like they owned a home at #1 Brook Lane prior to the housing being demolished in the 1940s(?) Census records going back to 1891 show my Staniforths living in the home, and it appears it was passed down as certain years so the elderly father living in the home.

I also have an old photo of my great-grandfathers sister, Hilda, standing at the top of Brook Lane, this was likely taken in the 1930s:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2ld7uiq.jpg

Very familiar with Brook Lane, spent many happy hours playing down by the brook, although it was 30 years after your photo was taken. I never realised houses like that ever existed on Brook Lane.

I have just been looking at some great photo's taken in that area recently (2012) which I'm sure would interest you.

Scroll down to the end of the thread . . .

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/13501-ford/#comment-113812

I know brook lane really well i was born in the village and I also went down the lane most days during the sixties & seventies! The remains of the houses are still there you can still see the stone window sills ! The yard behind was occupied by Dennis pegg he kept a very old racing car in a garage! Recently a bungalow was built on this site!

Edited by allwednesday

I know brook lane really well i was born in the village and I also went down the lane most days during the sixties & seventies! The remains of the houses are still there you can still see the stone window sills ! The yard behind was occupied by Dennis pegg he kept a very old racing car in a garage! Recently a bungalow was built on this site!

Thanks for the information! I always assumed #1 Brook Lane would have stood where the first house is on your left if you stand at the top of the current road, would I be correct

Thanks for the information! I always assumed #1 Brook Lane would have stood where the first house is on your left if you stand at the top of the current road, would I be correct

Yes that sounds about right! My mums uncle Percy ripon ran the paper shop at the top of the Lane! If you search google for pictures of hackenthorpe you should find a photo of him and his pals outside the wooden hut where he plyed his trade! I would think he probably new you relation.

Yes that sounds about right! My mums uncle Percy ripon ran the paper shop at the top of the Lane! If you search google for pictures of hackenthorpe you should find a photo of him and his pals outside the wooden hut where he plyed his trade! I would think he probably new you relation.

Ah! I remember my grandad telling me his dad worked at the old Rippon kiosk at the top of the lane, I'll have to ask him for more information about that, I know the exact photo you're talking about, it's a great photo

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 01:36 ----------

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-3521-1251061208.jpg

Here's the photo, would you know who the man is on the left sitting down?

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 11:04 ----------

Just confirmed, the man sitting down at the left IS my great great grandad Herbert Heaton Staniforth, I KNEW it looking at his face and I've never even met him!

Ah! I remember my grandad telling me his dad worked at the old Rippon kiosk at the top of the lane, I'll have to ask him for more information about that, I know the exact photo you're talking about, it's a great photo

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 01:36 ----------

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-3521-1251061208.jpg

Here's the photo, would you know who the man is on the left sitting down?

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 11:04 ----------

Just confirmed, the man sitting down at the left IS my great great grandad Herbert Heaton Staniforth, I KNEW it looking at his face and I've never even met him!

Obviously they were good pals, I did own a cash tin that came from this kiosk , it was given to me by my mums aunty Mary / Percys wife and she told me that's where it came from. It was an old green tin with a key, they probably kept their daily takings in it. I will have to have a rummage around and see if I can find it.