Tenants have an 'access' problem!

Got a phone call this morning off of one of my tenants, sounding quite harressed!

The next door neighbour has a japenese Akita! it's a massive dog.. I have actually met it and she's very lovely but can jump up and get overly giddy!

Anyway, apparently my tenants can't get out of the back gate (seperate gardens but with shared access to the end gate to get onto the road) because this dog is stopping them!! Apparently she is pearing over the fence at them and is ALWAYS in the garden! My tenants are a married couple with two young children and not what you call dog people..

They can get out using the front door but the issue is that they park on the side road and he feels he shouldn't have to walk all the way round, especially if he has shopping bags etc as it states the access is shared on the back entrance..

I told him to leave it with me and i'll speak with the neighbours but seriously!! what the hell am i suppose to say to them??

Am i supposed to tel them to not allow their dog on their garden?

Its a tricky one and any suggestions would be welcome x

Edited by Chelle-82

I'd be tempted to tell the tenants to talk to the neighbours themselves. I don't see how it's really an issue for the landlord to deal with, you have no power over the neighbours.

Who's garden is the dog in?

Presumably your deeds indicate property boundaries and also shared land?

You could ask the neighbours to keep their dog contained within their boundary and out of the communal land as it's causing a nuisance.

I've already suggested that to them. The next door neighbours are a young couple who are really nice and they have lived there since i used to live next door and i explained this to the chap this morning but he seems to think i should do something about it..

I can hardly ignore my tenant but at the same time what am i supposed to say the the guys with the dog?

You could ask the neighbours to keep their dog contained within their boundary and out of the communal land as it's causing a nuisance.

it's probably not "communal land", but is the more common "right of access" that many terraces in Sheffield have.

There are four gardens, all fenced off and all gated individually., The shared access is the path that runs across all four gardens where the gates are.

I've already suggested that to them. The next door neighbours are a young couple who are really nice and they have lived there since i used to live next door and i explained this to the chap this morning but he seems to think i should do something about it..

I can hardly ignore my tenant but at the same time what am i supposed to say the the guys with the dog?

Just tell the neighbour that they are worried that the dog will escape or something.

And then tell your tenants that you've spoken to them.

Most likely nothing will change, but you've tried.

it's probably not "communal land", but is the more common "right of access" that many terraces in Sheffield have.

There are four gardens, all fenced off and all gated individually., The shared access is the path that runs across all four gardens where the gates are.

Right I think I understand, so your tenants need to cross the neighbours back garden to access the street/house??

In that case you're probably right in that you can't really do anything yourself, you can't control what other people do on their own land.

I take it the dog itself is well mannered and hasn't actually done anything 'wrong', it's more the tenants are afraid of it??

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 11:41 ----------

Just tell the neighbour that they are worried that the dog will escape or something.

And then tell your tenants that you've spoken to them.

Most likely nothing will change, but you've tried.

Might be wise to put it in a polite letter, as to demonstrate as the landlord you've attempted to solve the situation as best you can.

Right I think I understand, so your tenants need to cross the neighbours back garden to access the street/house??

In that case you're probably right in that you can't really do anything yourself, you can't control what other people do on their own land.

I take it the dog itself is well mannered and hasn't actually done anything 'wrong', it's more the tenants are afraid of it??

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 11:41 ----------

Might be wise to put it in a polite letter, as to demonstrate as the landlord you've attempted to solve the situation as best you can.

Yes you are correct, and the next door neighbours own their home!

I had already thought of popping down tonight and seeing the young couple, maybe just mention that one of the young kids is really afraid of dogs.. The couple are really nice and they used to be my neighbours once upon a time but even so, the nicest of people may take real offence and being asked to control their animal on their own garden!

But then surely with it being shared access then there must be some rule about 'obstructing' but would a dog come under this?

Whooooo it's a pickle x

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 11:51 ----------

Oh and yes the dog itself is very lovely, a bit giddy and likes to jump up and lick which if you like dogs then fine but like i said my tenants arent dog people so the last thing they probably want is a 10 stone dog in their faces!

Edited by Chelle-82

Got a phone call this morning off of one of my tenants, sounding quite harressed!

The next door neighbour has a japenese Akita! it's a massive dog.. I have actually met it and she's very lovely but can jump up and get overly kiddy!

Anyway, apparently my tenants can't get out of the back gate (seperate gardens but with shared access to the end gate to get onto the road) because this dog is stopping them!! Apparently she is pearing over the fence at them and is ALWAYS in the garden! My tenants are a married couple with two young children and not what you call dog people..

They can get out using the front door but the issue is that they park on the side road and he feels he shouldn't have to walk all the way round, especially if he has shopping bags etc as it states the access is shared on the back entrance..

I told him to leave it with me and i'll speak with the neighbours but seriously!! what the hell am i suppose to say to them??

Am i supposed to tel them to not allow their dog on their garden?

Its a tricky one and any suggestions would be welcome x

Why is it your domain? The tenants should speak to the neighbours themselves.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 11:51 ----------

Also the dog owners have the right to use their back garden, the house that they own.

It's unfortunate its a through fayre.

But then surely with it being shared access then there must be some rule about 'obstructing' but would a dog come under this?

Whooooo it's a pickle x

Oh and yes the dog itself is very lovely, a bit giddy and likes to jump up and lick which if you like dogs then fine but like i said my tenants arent dog people so the last thing they probably want is a 10 stone dog in their faces!

Technically it's not an obstruction, and not a permanent obstruction either.

Just because the tenants aren't dog people and don't like it doesn't mean a whole bunch. The dog hasn't presented any threat.

Technically it's not an obstruction, and not a permanent obstruction either.

Just because the tenants aren't dog people and don't like it doesn't mean a whole bunch. The dog hasn't presented any threat.

Agree. They are making it your problem. Next they will be asking you to change a light bulb.