Golf! the exclusion of women.

The big stink surrounding the exclusion of women being members by Muirfield golf club in Scotland brings nearer home the women only swimming sessions or gym slots that occur around our area now and again.

Why is it that the golf gets all the publicity yet the other more general occurrences get ignored.

It used to be a common occurrence for certain pubs and working mens clubs to have men only rooms , mind you that was before ladies started swearing like troopers and supping pints;

Tuppaware or Ann Summers party any one .

Edited by samssong

The big stink surrounding the exclusion of women being members by Muirfield golf club in Scotland brings nearer home the women only swimming sessions or gym slots that occur around our area now and again.

Why is it that the golf gets all the publicity yet the other more general occurrences get ignored.

It used to be a common occurrence for certain pubs and working mens clubs to have men only rooms , mind you that was before ladies started swearing like troopers and supping pints;

i imagine you can go to an ann summers party :help:

good luck :hihi:

I don't know what all the fuss is about its a private club and if people want to mix with only people of the same sex or like minded people then I say let them get on with it. I object though when public facilities paid for out of everyone's tax's operate such policies.

I don't know what all the fuss is about its a private club and if people want to mix with only people of the same sex or like minded people then I say let them get on with it. I object though when public facilities paid for out of everyone's tax's operate such policies.

So a private club would be okay with a "no blacks or Irish" policy then?

I understand that there are more women only golf clubs, than male only ones.

So a private club would be okay with a "no blacks or Irish" policy then?

And no white English.

Blatant discrimination by a bunch of blokes, childishly more concerned with their lunch than with the game of golf.

And no white English.

A group that well understands discrimination of course. :suspect:

prepare for the reverse race card being thrown :hihi:

It would be discrimination to stop them setting up such a club.

If I am permitted to set up a club based on my moral values then everyone should be allowed to set up a club based on their moral values.

Blatant discrimination by a bunch of blokes, childishly more concerned with their lunch than with the game of golf.

I agree it is out of order.

Virgin gym broadfield road has a woman's only section, is that as bad as this golf club.

Perfectly legal -from the Government's Equality Guide (Equality Act 2010):

Example:

Ben and Annie are members of a golf club which has agreements with a men-only golf club and a women-only golf club in neighbouring towns. These agreements allow members to play at each other’s clubs, but the men-only golf club allows only male associates from Ben and Annie’s golf club to use its facilities, and the women-only golf club allows only female associates. This would be lawful.

Also: "Can private clubs hold separate sporting competitions for men and women?"

Private clubs will still be able to treat men and women differently in any sport, game, or activity of a competitive nature where the physical strength, stamina or physique of the average woman puts her at a disadvantage compared with the average man, or vice versa.