Self Representation in Court

Hi all

Does anyone have experience of self-representation in court?

With solicitors fees being what they are, and also the last time I felt that they didn't fully speak and represent me as fully as I would have liked for what I was paying, I feel that maybe speaking for myself would get me further along the process without having to pay so much out. Is this a myth and the court costs are still just as much? I have no real idea.

How do I start the process? There's lots of info online, but it's all a tad confusing, so I was hoping to hear about real life accounts and how people got on. It'd be the family courts and involves child access.

I just need a starting point. Many thanks in advance.

Sadly it is not uncommon for someone to feel past legal representation has not been good as well as being poor value for money. You say there is a lot of info online, so you may have already seen the information in the link below. Good luck.

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/advice-support-40/single-parents-support-45/563567-self-representation-court-all.html

Attributed to Lincoln and to Samuel Johnson, I suspect no one knows who said it, "He who represents himself has a fool for a client”

Or even Gomez Addams "They say that a man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client. And with God as my witness, I am that fool!"

http://www.quotes.net/mquote/489

Someone I am closely related to tried it, despite being offered free legal support throughout the process, because they are stubborn and felt they had a good unfair dismissal case. They lost, ended up paying all court costs and losing an appropriate claim for back pay and pension protection because they did not understand the full process. It cost them their job and six months wages and a seven thousand euro court bill and 24% of their final pension that was due to ne awarded in four years time. It could have cost just 7000 euros...

Trust me, if it is a complex case, don't risk it.

Yes you can. but it helps if you know what you are talking about, which will mean doing research and proper preparation. If you do that and are confident in your ability, then have a go. The court has limited time, will assist, but there are limits. It is there to hear your case and not push it for you. It remains open to the court as to whether to award costs and you could end up paying theirs.

You don't need expensive lawyers in court, the simple noble sword of truth will see you through. :banana:

You don't need expensive lawyers in court, the simple noble sword of truth will see you through. :banana:

Go for it :):):)

don't do it. Although it will be a bit of a challenge for you, something to remember, and it might feel good for a while, the likelihood sadly is that it will all end in tears.

Do it, don't let those naysayers bring you down. You are a smart gut, a lot smarter than those fancy lawyer types.

Tell me when your case will be heard and I will come for moral support

Btw if you arent smart, then I wouldnt bother.

I suppose it depends on what you stand to lose. Could you perhaps prepare a statement for your solicitor to present to the court so you feel that what you need to say is being said? Does that ever happen?

Does that ever happen?

of course it does. I've told lawyers exactly what to say to the judge although it was not in open court and I was not there to hear it. Whether they used exactly my language I don't know.

whatever it seemed to work. Their case collapsed, I got off, and I walked out of there.