Great news, Halal and Kosher to be banned by the Dutch

Be nice if there was so much concern for how an animal lives before it is slaughtered. Not the phoney sympathy for how they died.

Be nice if there was so much concern for how an animal lives before it is slaughtered. Not the phoney sympathy for how they died.

You have to start somewhere. You change the world one step at a time. Too many people (like you) will say there is a bigger issue and use this as an excuse. It's a lazy way to do nothing while appearing to have concern.

You have to start somewhere. You change the world one step at a time. Too many people (like you) will say there is a bigger issue and use this as an excuse. It's a lazy way to do nothing while appearing to have concern.

You do have to start somewhere. Why start at the end?

Are you saying that my concerns with both Kosher and Halal is based on prejudice?

There you go again, trying to put words in my mouth.

My argument is that there are many people who complain about Halal and Kosher (H & K) methods who are silent on other animal welfare issues. I realise that this is a generalisation but 9 times out of 10 people who post complaining about H & K are those, on other threads, complaining about anything Islamic.

I campaign on all animal welfare issues and do not restrict myself to ideologically based issues. I just wish that those who complain about H & K would devote as much time and effort to other cruelty issues.

More than 90% of halal meat is stunned before its killed anyway, so the animal wouldn't feel a thing.

Where do you get this figure from?

My argument is that there are many people who complain about Halal and Kosher (H & K) methods who are silent on other animal welfare issues. I realise that this is a generalisation but 9 times out of 10 people who post complaining about H & K are those, on other threads, complaining about anything Islamic.

You are connecting things that are not necessarily connected other than in your own opinion. Just because a person dislikes Islam, that doesn't mean their dislike for Kosher and Halal slaughter is suddenly invalid. Infact you are showing an intolerance of peoples opinions based purely on your disagreement with them on another subject.

A point of view is not validated by the person who makes it. Not wishing to enact Godwin's law but Hitler being the renowned **** he was, supported the banning of Fox hunting. His opinion on fox hunting is no less valid than anyone elses.

The 2016 Oskar Schindler Award For Humanitarian Magnificence goes to.....

Not looking for any kind of award. As a meat eater I am concerned how we slaughter our animals, no more no less.

Angel1.

You are connecting things that are not necessarily connected other than in your own opinion. Just because a person dislikes Islam, that doesn't mean their dislike for Kosher and Halal slaughter is suddenly invalid. Infact you are showing an intolerance of peoples opinions based purely on your disagreement with them on another subject.

A point of view is not validated by the person who makes it. Not wishing to enact Godwin's law but Hitler being the renowned **** he was, supported the banning of Fox hunting. His opinion on fox hunting is no less valid than anyone elses.

True but you miss the point.

If the only animal welfare issue someone is concerned with is Halal meat, then it indicates an ulterior motive.

If the only animal welfare issue someone is concerned with is Halal meat, then it indicates an ulterior motive.

Nonsense.

One can agree with the death penalty for some crimes but disagree on the method of execution e.g. hanging, stoning, lethal drugs.

Hunting with bow and arrows is illegal in this country as is hunting with dogs but not hunting and shooting with a gun.

One can agree that an operation is preferable to bearing a condition but disagree on anesthesia or even if it is necessary.

One can argue that one method is better than another for many reasons efficiancy, effectiveness, morality.

Morality is mostly about what is thought to be best for society.

Religion is mostly to do with the regulation of society : Halal is do do with food safety regulation. In a society where dirt and heat dominate it was necessary to have some way of reducing the risk of bacterial contamination. In this country we have slaughter houses and food safety regulations for the same reasons. Refrigeration has changed society beyond recognition to medieval societies all over the world. Air conditioning has taken over from the Punka Walla.

Catholics have changed their attitude to not working and church going on Sundays, fish on Fridays and birth control.

I disagree with Halal but would not dream of serving pork or non Halal to my Muslim friends because I can empathise with their feelings. So I often serve fish, eggs, cheese, for protein

Muslims will eventually change the Halal rules, given the opportunity to reasoned debate.

The problem with most religions is that they dictate rules without reason.

The most important question in the world is, WHY? the next one is can we do it a better way? :)

I contacted my MP over the abhorrent practice of Halal and Shechita slaughter.

On receipt of a reply from my MP, it seems she is aware of this practice and is currently awaiting a reply herself, having contacted DEFRA over the problem.

Angel1.