Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Dial House Club film shoot 1965 - were you there?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-10-2012, 09:22   #1
lowowl
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Total Posts: 12
I am involved in showing a documentary filmed at the Dial House Club in 1965 by the German filmmaker Peter Nestler and 2 other people. They were in Sheffield for a few weeks and went to the club for a while before starting to film. We are now showing the film at the Sheffield Showroom on 11 November and the filmmaker will be there and I am sure he would be very pleased to meet some of the people who were there at that time.
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 09:31   #2
harvey19
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 5,505
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowowl View Post
I am involved in showing a documentary filmed at the Dial House Club in 1965 by the German filmmaker Peter Nestler and 2 other people. They were in Sheffield for a few weeks and went to the club for a while before starting to film. We are now showing the film at the Sheffield Showroom on 11 November and the filmmaker will be there and I am sure he would be very pleased to meet some of the people who were there at that time.
What time is the film being shown at ?
Can I get a copy of the film ?
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 09:43   #3
lowowl
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Total Posts: 12
The film is shown on Sunday, 11 November, at 3.30pm. I can't post the link but it is on the Showroom Website when you click on the calendar and on the date.
If you miss this, it is included a a BFI compilation called Roll Out the Barrel.
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 09:54   #4
harvey19
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 5,505
Status: Online
Thankyou for the information.
(Do I need to bring my club book and affiliation card ?)
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 10:05   #5
lowowl
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Total Posts: 12
No, you don't have to. It's open to everyone, but of course it would be of special interest to people who belong to working men's clubs.
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 11:21   #6
harvey19
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 5,505
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowowl View Post
No, you don't have to. It's open to everyone, but of course it would be of special interest to people who belong to working men's clubs.
I was only joking !!!!
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 11:30   #7
me-and-pippo
Registered User
me-and-pippo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Heeley/Arbourthorne
Total Posts: 2,654
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowowl View Post
The film is shown on Sunday, 11 November, at 3.30pm. I can't post the link but it is on the Showroom Website when you click on the calendar and on the date.
If you miss this, it is included a a BFI compilation called Roll Out the Barrel.
Link ...
http://www.showroomworkstation.org.u...lubinsheffield
_______
I started out with nothing
And I still have most of it.


sheffieldhistory.co.uk - polite & helpful
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
25-10-2012, 11:37   #8
lowowl
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Total Posts: 12
okay, I guess I missed that!
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 11:37   #9
lowowl
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Total Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by me-and-pippo View Post
Thanks for posting the weblink!
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2012, 16:40   #10
hillsbro
Registered User
hillsbro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Lincolnshire, ex Dykes Hall Road
Total Posts: 5,016
Status: Online
This old thread about the film includes (in Post #15) links to the film in three parts on YouTube (where it is an "unlisted video"). The film begins with a band playing "Hello Dolly", and then the voice-over begins. Here is a quick translation of the voice-over at the beginning of the film:

Sheffield is a working-class city in mid-England, comparable with Dusburg or Essen. Half a million people live here.

Then after a pause, a man is shown on Ben Lane, walking down to the club. The voice-over continues:

This is Mr Charles Henry Richards. He is 63 years old, married, and has a 31 year-old daughter who is ill and unable to work. He is a grinder in a cutlery factory and earns about 95 marks [then about £8 10s] per week. On Sundays he goes to the club at 10 in the morning to drink beer and talk with his friends.

Then the camera shows some people talking at the bar and playing cards etc. and the film continues.
.
_______
.
Live like you mean it.

Last edited by hillsbro; 25-10-2012 at 16:44. Reason: Speling ...
  Reply With Quote
01-11-2012, 08:50   #11
carlos
Registered User
carlos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Total Posts: 18
Due to unforeseen circumstances Peter Nester will not be in attendance on Sunday the 11th of November, but the screening will still be going ahead. Ruth Cherrington, author of ‘Not Just Beer and Bingo – A Social History of Working Men’s Clubs’ will lead a Q&A session after the film.

http://www.goethe.de/ins/gb/lon/en9500432v.htm
  Reply With Quote
01-11-2012, 09:58   #12
lazarus
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sat in a chair
Total Posts: 1,660
You can watch the film on sheffield history under sheffield related video clips
_______
coming back from the dead
  Reply With Quote
01-11-2012, 12:32   #13
hobbinfootju
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincolnshire
Total Posts: 67
I have seen the film and it has been released by the british film institute. It is part of a two part documenary about the English pub trade. There are two CDs and they are called Roll Out The Barrel. The doc about the Dial is about 40 mins long and it will transport you back to a time which sadly is now gone. I must admit i found it both facinating and a bit sad to think that those times have gone for good.
_______
Look Sharpe There And Hurry Up Back
  Reply With Quote
01-11-2012, 18:12   #14
harvey19
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 5,505
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbinfootju View Post
I have seen the film and it has been released by the british film institute. It is part of a two part documenary about the English pub trade. There are two CDs and they are called Roll Out The Barrel. The doc about the Dial is about 40 mins long and it will transport you back to a time which sadly is now gone. I must admit i found it both facinating and a bit sad to think that those times have gone for good.
Where can these CDs be purchased ?
  Reply With Quote
02-11-2012, 14:32   #15
carlos
Registered User
carlos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Total Posts: 18
I've looked on Amazon and 'Roll out The Barrel' is available on DVD from them. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roll-Out-Bar.../dp/B007A0QTSA

There's also a DVD box set available of his films, but I don't know if the films have English subtitles. http://www.amazon.de/Peter-Nestler-P.../dp/3898483983

It would great if people who appeared in the film were at the screening. The discussion after the film with Ruth Cherrington should also be interesting, I've just been viewing her site Club Historians http://www.clubhistorians.co.uk/
  Reply With Quote
02-11-2012, 18:39   #16
harvey19
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 5,505
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
I've looked on Amazon and 'Roll out The Barrel' is available on DVD from them. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roll-Out-Bar.../dp/B007A0QTSA

There's also a DVD box set available of his films, but I don't know if the films have English subtitles. http://www.amazon.de/Peter-Nestler-P.../dp/3898483983

It would great if people who appeared in the film were at the screening. The discussion after the film with Ruth Cherrington should also be interesting, I've just been viewing her site Club Historians http://www.clubhistorians.co.uk/
Thankyou.
I've ordered the boxed set and will enjoy the memories they bring back.
  Reply With Quote
04-11-2012, 19:44   #17
LA Blade
Registered User
LA Blade's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Total Posts: 97
Wow, what great viewing to watch. I cannot beleive that I was going to the Dial House club in the late 60's as it seems it was filmed in the 40's. I forwarded the link onto several friends and just heard back from one who was working in't Castle Market when they were filming then - its a small world!
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2012, 09:03   #18
carlos
Registered User
carlos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Total Posts: 18
I hope the screening goes well on Sunday. I think the film is a must see for anyone interested in WMCs or for students of documentary filmmaking. I'll certainly be putting the 'Roll out the Barrel' DVD on my Xmas list.

‘Give order! All round the room please’
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2012, 09:19   #19
lowowl
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Total Posts: 12
Many thanks for the good wishes for the screening. We'll drive up from London to delliver the film prints and to see how it all goes. A friend told a friend whose mother is in the film. I wonder whether there will be more people like that.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2012, 09:32   #20
carlos
Registered User
carlos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Total Posts: 18
Many of the people featured in the film will be no longer with us, but it will be a great opportunity for relatives to try and spot them. As far as I'm aware the film has never been shown on British TV, and the copies floating around the internet are of dubious quality, so it will great to watch the film in all it's glory on a large screen.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 20:30.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014