Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Dial House Club film shoot 1965 - were you there?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

25-10-2012, 09:22   #1
lowowl

Total Posts: 12
I am involved in showing a documentary filmed at the Dial House Club in 1965 by the German filmmaker Peter Nestler and 2 other people. They were in Sheffield for a few weeks and went to the club for a while before starting to film. We are now showing the film at the Sheffield Showroom on 11 November and the filmmaker will be there and I am sure he would be very pleased to meet some of the people who were there at that time.
25-10-2012, 09:31   #2
harvey19

Total Posts: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowowl View Post
I am involved in showing a documentary filmed at the Dial House Club in 1965 by the German filmmaker Peter Nestler and 2 other people. They were in Sheffield for a few weeks and went to the club for a while before starting to film. We are now showing the film at the Sheffield Showroom on 11 November and the filmmaker will be there and I am sure he would be very pleased to meet some of the people who were there at that time.
What time is the film being shown at ?
Can I get a copy of the film ?
25-10-2012, 09:43   #3
lowowl

The film is shown on Sunday, 11 November, at 3.30pm. I can't post the link but it is on the Showroom Website when you click on the calendar and on the date.
If you miss this, it is included a a BFI compilation called Roll Out the Barrel.
25-10-2012, 09:54   #4
harvey19

Thankyou for the information.
(Do I need to bring my club book and affiliation card ?)
25-10-2012, 10:05   #5
lowowl

No, you don't have to. It's open to everyone, but of course it would be of special interest to people who belong to working men's clubs.
25-10-2012, 11:21   #6
harvey19

Quote:
No, you don't have to. It's open to everyone, but of course it would be of special interest to people who belong to working men's clubs.
I was only joking !!!!
25-10-2012, 11:30   #7
me-and-pippo

Total Posts: 2,654
Quote:
The film is shown on Sunday, 11 November, at 3.30pm. I can't post the link but it is on the Showroom Website when you click on the calendar and on the date.
If you miss this, it is included a a BFI compilation called Roll Out the Barrel.
Link ...
http://www.showroomworkstation.org.u...lubinsheffield
_______
I started out with nothing
And I still have most of it.

sheffieldhistory.co.uk - polite & helpful
Sponsored Links
25-10-2012, 11:37   #8
lowowl

okay, I guess I missed that!
25-10-2012, 11:37   #9
lowowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by me-and-pippo View Post
Thanks for posting the weblink!
25-10-2012, 16:40   #10
hillsbro

Total Posts: 5,016
This old thread about the film includes (in Post #15) links to the film in three parts on YouTube (where it is an "unlisted video"). The film begins with a band playing "Hello Dolly", and then the voice-over begins. Here is a quick translation of the voice-over at the beginning of the film:

Sheffield is a working-class city in mid-England, comparable with Dusburg or Essen. Half a million people live here.

Then after a pause, a man is shown on Ben Lane, walking down to the club. The voice-over continues:

This is Mr Charles Henry Richards. He is 63 years old, married, and has a 31 year-old daughter who is ill and unable to work. He is a grinder in a cutlery factory and earns about 95 marks [then about £8 10s] per week. On Sundays he goes to the club at 10 in the morning to drink beer and talk with his friends.

Then the camera shows some people talking at the bar and playing cards etc. and the film continues.
_______
Live like you mean it.

Last edited by hillsbro; 25-10-2012 at 16:44. Reason: Speling ...
01-11-2012, 08:50   #11
carlos

Total Posts: 18
Due to unforeseen circumstances Peter Nester will not be in attendance on Sunday the 11th of November, but the screening will still be going ahead. Ruth Cherrington, author of ‘Not Just Beer and Bingo – A Social History of Working Men’s Clubs’ will lead a Q&A session after the film.

http://www.goethe.de/ins/gb/lon/en9500432v.htm
01-11-2012, 09:58   #12
lazarus

Total Posts: 1,660
You can watch the film on sheffield history under sheffield related video clips
_______
coming back from the dead
01-11-2012, 12:32   #13
hobbinfootju

Total Posts: 67
I have seen the film and it has been released by the british film institute. It is part of a two part documenary about the English pub trade. There are two CDs and they are called Roll Out The Barrel. The doc about the Dial is about 40 mins long and it will transport you back to a time which sadly is now gone. I must admit i found it both facinating and a bit sad to think that those times have gone for good.
_______
Look Sharpe There And Hurry Up Back
01-11-2012, 18:12   #14
harvey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbinfootju View Post
I have seen the film and it has been released by the british film institute. It is part of a two part documenary about the English pub trade. There are two CDs and they are called Roll Out The Barrel. The doc about the Dial is about 40 mins long and it will transport you back to a time which sadly is now gone. I must admit i found it both facinating and a bit sad to think that those times have gone for good.
Where can these CDs be purchased ?
02-11-2012, 14:32   #15
carlos

I've looked on Amazon and 'Roll out The Barrel' is available on DVD from them. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roll-Out-Bar.../dp/B007A0QTSA

There's also a DVD box set available of his films, but I don't know if the films have English subtitles. http://www.amazon.de/Peter-Nestler-P.../dp/3898483983

It would great if people who appeared in the film were at the screening. The discussion after the film with Ruth Cherrington should also be interesting, I've just been viewing her site Club Historians http://www.clubhistorians.co.uk/
02-11-2012, 18:39   #16
harvey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
I've looked on Amazon and 'Roll out The Barrel' is available on DVD from them. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roll-Out-Bar.../dp/B007A0QTSA

There's also a DVD box set available of his films, but I don't know if the films have English subtitles. http://www.amazon.de/Peter-Nestler-P.../dp/3898483983

It would great if people who appeared in the film were at the screening. The discussion after the film with Ruth Cherrington should also be interesting, I've just been viewing her site Club Historians http://www.clubhistorians.co.uk/
Thankyou.
I've ordered the boxed set and will enjoy the memories they bring back.
04-11-2012, 19:44   #17
LA Blade

Total Posts: 97
Wow, what great viewing to watch. I cannot beleive that I was going to the Dial House club in the late 60's as it seems it was filmed in the 40's. I forwarded the link onto several friends and just heard back from one who was working in't Castle Market when they were filming then - its a small world!
09-11-2012, 09:03   #18
carlos

I hope the screening goes well on Sunday. I think the film is a must see for anyone interested in WMCs or for students of documentary filmmaking. I'll certainly be putting the 'Roll out the Barrel' DVD on my Xmas list.

‘Give order! All round the room please’
09-11-2012, 09:19   #19
lowowl

Many thanks for the good wishes for the screening. We'll drive up from London to delliver the film prints and to see how it all goes. A friend told a friend whose mother is in the film. I wonder whether there will be more people like that.
09-11-2012, 09:32   #20
carlos

Many of the people featured in the film will be no longer with us, but it will be a great opportunity for relatives to try and spot them. As far as I'm aware the film has never been shown on British TV, and the copies floating around the internet are of dubious quality, so it will great to watch the film in all it's glory on a large screen.
Reply To Topic