Sheffield Forum

Online start up business ideas?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Business & Employment

Reply To Topic

06-05-2012, 16:53   #1
hannah25x

Total Posts: 105
Im 17 and wanting to start my own online bussiness.

1. What is there a gap in the market for?
2. Any advice and tips and info i need to know?

Thanks very much!
06-05-2012, 19:36   #2
RWM1967

Total Posts: 179
I have several businesses, some utilise the internet, i.e. I can direct potential customers to the website and they can view all products/services and purchase them online, but all of the businesses also involve some work that is not online. Most businesses I've seen that claim to be purely "online", are not real businesses or they rely on a huge amount of people visiting your particular website, i.e. there is no real product or service being offered. It would probably be better to think about what products or services you are able to offer, then seek advice as to how to market those products or services online. If you would like further advice please pm me.
06-05-2012, 19:45   #3
indizine

Total Posts: 4,090
Send a message via Skype™ to indizine
Anyone who has a good idea isn't going to give it away publicly on here or to you.

For starters, look at how much money you have to invest and see what you can do with that. Pointless folk throwing you random suggestions which you mght not be able to afford, or even have the skills or experience to put in place.

Do not think "build it and they will come" - that's the biggest myth ever.

Do not think that a free website is going to make you pretty well off anytime soon. It won't. It may bring you pocket money.
_______
Joomla and Wordpress Website Design | Ecommerce Website Design

Contact Us TODAY!
06-05-2012, 19:59   #4
RWM1967

Total Posts: 179
Indizine makes a great point, there is no point setting up an online business unless you know what real products or services you can realistically offer, and you need to do your due diligence and market research, so that you know what you can offer competatively and what others are already offering. Only after you have decided on your product or service, can you then look at whether website marketing/e-commerce is the way forward.
06-05-2012, 20:51   #5
Karis
Evil Overlord

Total Posts: 6,600
You really need to be passionate about your business, so just looking for a gap in the Market might not cut it; it needs to be something you really have a vested interest in. Something you can throw yourself into.

Good luck
_______
www.candymonster.co.uk - unique horror themed chocolates - coming soon!
www.bathbliss.co.uk - for the best in luxury bath products
07-05-2012, 03:20   #6
anywebsite

Total Posts: 6,427
Find something you can sell on eBay at a profit. Once you've made some money doing that get your own website.
_______
ID Coin
07-05-2012, 09:57   #7
tlangdon12

Total Posts: 49
ANywebsite's advice is good advice. You can build up a good business on Ebay, and will get alot of experience doing so.
Sponsored Links
07-05-2012, 13:11   #8
TheFirefly

Total Posts: 25
Perhaps consider affiliate marketing? I understand that this can be a somewhat 'murky' area, however, if you can find a product / service that you are passionate about (or even interest in) then you may be able to make some money from it.

Many years ago I was making a very nice supplementary income of 500 - 800 p/m from the Laterooms Affiliate Program

Do some online research and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!
07-05-2012, 13:16   #9
indizine

But you have to remember that to reach the nice income, a lot of work and time goes into it beforehand.
_______

Contact Us TODAY!
07-05-2012, 13:21   #10
TJC1

Total Posts: 3,179
Being 17, why not utilise social media? Think about it, how many friends do you habr on fb? Potential for marketing is huge.
07-05-2012, 13:21   #11
TheFirefly

Total Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indizine View Post
But you have to remember that to reach the nice income, a lot of work and time goes into it beforehand.
Indeed, and you can easily lose it overnight *thank you Google :p
07-05-2012, 13:30   #12
TJC1

People think online is easy, but tend to overlook the hours and hours of research needed to make it payoff. It also moves so quick, the urge to lose focus is always there.
07-05-2012, 20:55   #13
indizine

So true TJC1, so many people seem to skip what work goes into it, and arrives at "you can make money with a website, with ebay, blah blah. it is NEVER that easy. if only. I would have many dozens of websites on the go if that were that case.
_______

Contact Us TODAY!
07-05-2012, 21:01   #14
shoppingmad

Total Posts: 85
if you find some thing that works let up all know if its hard to rub two pennys when u only have 1
07-05-2012, 22:00   #15
TJC1

Quote:
So true TJC1, so many people seem to skip what work goes into it, and arrives at "you can make money with a website, with ebay, blah blah. it is NEVER that easy. if only. I would have many dozens of websites on the go if that were that case.
So true. Lost count at the amount of times soneone said making money on the internet is easy. The truth is im getting there but still trying to eek out a living months on. In time it may become easy but the hard yards are at tge start! To the op, dont be put off but also be prepared to fail and alter course when you inevitably fail.
08-05-2012, 11:35   #16
Cat86

Total Posts: 906
Send a message via MSN to Cat86 Send a message via Yahoo to Cat86
Quote:
So true TJC1, so many people seem to skip what work goes into it, and arrives at "you can make money with a website, with ebay, blah blah. it is NEVER that easy.
Thats true. I sell clothes on ebay- and yes it makes money. But it also takes time to go and get clothes to sell/take pictures/list/post etc
If I had the time, I'd sell alcohol online.. a delivery on the day (night) service..theres none round here that deliver to the local area, mainly just london/1 takeaway here that I know of.
08-05-2012, 11:49   #17
jobs4everyon

Total Posts: 76
Hello,

I really agree with Karis, I began working on Jobs4Everyone just after university which was to provide a free service for businesses to recruit. But it took over 4 1/2 years to get the project fully off the ground with investment!

It is very easy to under-estimate the amount of time it takes to get an online business up and running, but essentially it is still a business just like any other, apart from its 'shop-font' is a web-page. But relationships still have to be forged, contacts made, business models developed and that all takes a lot of time and patience.

By all means go for it! But do find out what you're passionate about and follow that!

Good luck!

Rich
_______
Looking for a job or have a vacancy to fill? - Sign Up for free at Jobs4Everyone

Follow us on Twitter @jobs4everyone and Like Us on Facebook
Reply To Topic