Your message here

Roy Hodgson approached by FA.

Home > General > General Sports Chat

Reply To Topic

01-05-2012, 20:37   #41
JFKvsNixon
Kissinger-esque

Total Posts: 15,453
Interesting article about the appointment here, which discusses Hodgson's tactical knowledge and his systems management approach compared to Redknapp who downplays the tactical side of the game to focus on his ability to motivate individuals.

Here's author's conclusions:

Quote:
The point here is not that England have no chance of winning the tournament Ė itís that they had no chance of winning the tournament by playing the anarchic football favoured by Redknapp. The type of football Hodgson offers is, in theory, the type of football that will maximise Englandís chances.
The author sums up his conclusion by adding:

Quote:
England must attempt to win the tournament; the chances are extremely slim, but have marginally increased with this appointment. England donít have good enough players to be open and indulge individuals, and therefore Hodgsonís system-first approach makes sense
I must admit that this article has won me around to feeling a lot more positive about Hodgson's appointment. The two big questions for me now are, will England's players have enough respect to follow Hodgson's instructions, and if they don't will he have the strength to drop any play that he believes won't follow his instructions.
_______
Nicky Wire - This isn't a britpop anthem, it's a song about working class emancipation.
01-05-2012, 21:36   #42
Baz1

Total Posts: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigster View Post
What about gary megson going back.
He may well be mentioned but I doubt would be in top 3, doesn't seem to be a long term objective given his record- although had his best spell at WBA.
_______
Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil. Plato
01-05-2012, 21:44   #43
jsmith2009

Total Posts: 2,609
hi i think they just saved the 8 million pound so not a bad thing with how things are at the moment . that what harry would of cost ta jeff
_______
Jeff smith Joiner 07861379796 or 01142203563 full refurbs/ loft conversions/ Doors/floors/ balustrades/ kitchens/ windows/ restoration to wooden windows/plastic windows all general joinery .free quotes given
01-05-2012, 22:45   #44
Jim Hardie

Total Posts: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith2009 View Post
hi i think they just saved the 8 million pound so not a bad thing with how things are at the moment . that what harry would of cost ta jeff
That's a bit rich after chucking away £24m on a bloke who couldn't even speak English.
02-05-2012, 06:04   #45
staninoodle

Total Posts: 1,949
Dull apointment for me,Hodgsons done ok,but nothing special,understandabley,the public want an english manager,this panders to that demand.Hes a steady appointment.
Gus Hiddink would have been my own personal choice.
But.....i wish him well more in hope than expectation.
The english sporting press wont be very forgiving,as hes not thier choice either.
_______
Not often im right,but iv never been wrong!
2015 and we will have the ashes back!
02-05-2012, 09:57   #46
Number Six
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by staninoodle View Post
Dull apointment for me,Hodgsons done ok,but nothing special,understandabley,the public want an english manager,this panders to that demand.Hes a steady appointment.
Only two people have got Switzerland to the last 16 of the World Cup. One of them is Roy Hodgson, and he was also the first person to get them to qualify for the Euros.

On the other hand, Harry Redknapp has left financial turmoil behind at Bournemouth, West Ham and Portsmouth, and has won an FA Cup.
02-05-2012, 11:57   #47
taxman

Total Posts: 18,215
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Six View Post
On the other hand, Harry Redknapp has left financial turmoil behind at Bournemouth, West Ham and Portsmouth, and has won an FA Cup.
But at least with the England job he'd be unable to splash loads of money on dodgy Hulio Moneybags type players and their spiv agents whilst eyeing the 10% bung he'd receive for selling them on.

Gor' blimey Guv'nor.
_______
"I'm not arguing there are no decent people in the Tory Party...But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd" Iain Banks.

Discover your family tree
Sponsored Links
02-05-2012, 18:47   #48
JFKvsNixon
Kissinger-esque

Total Posts: 15,453
It would have been nice to seen the Sun get behind our team, but no they're still happy to bask in the gutter.
_______
Nicky Wire - This isn't a britpop anthem, it's a song about working class emancipation.
02-05-2012, 21:25   #49
John Dory

Total Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFKvsNixon View Post
It would have been nice to seen the Sun get behind our team, but no they're still happy to bask in the gutter.
What a disgraceful rag the Sun is, but it's no surprise coming from a paper who's owner is deemed unfit to run a company. I wish Roy Hodgson all the best, he's a decent bloke and there aren't many of them around in the game at the top level these days.
02-05-2012, 22:27   #50
CorkerSWFC
Footy Fanatic

Total Posts: 35,303
Good luck to Roy Hodgson, always liked the fella so he'll do for me, it's the players who need to pull there socks up.
_______
There's Only one Ben Wilson !!! Never forgotton
Reply To Topic