Your message here

Homemade flatbreads - fantastic!

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Sheffield Foodies

Reply To Topic

18-02-2012, 11:23   #1
taxman

Total Posts: 18,074
Send a message via MSN to taxman
I've recently started experimenting with making my own flatbreads after a work colleague said he made his own.

I've made apricot and spring onion flatbreads a couple of times and I've just made and eaten a sun-dried tomato and olive flatbread, perfect with burgers and salad.

The one time it wasn't so good was when I tried to cook them in the oven rather than on the griddle. I think the oven wasn't hot enough and they crisped up rather than going soft. I tried the oven method because the only drawback to doing in a griddle pan is the smoke.

I never realised how quick, simple and cheap it was to make my own.

I never need buy a naan bread ever again!
_______
"I'm not arguing there are no decent people in the Tory Party...But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd" Iain Banks.

Discover your family tree
19-02-2012, 08:37   #2
Claret

Total Posts: 1,405
Sounds good & I'd love to give them a go. Do you use a specific recipe?
19-02-2012, 09:05   #3
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claret View Post
Sounds good & I'd love to give them a go. Do you use a specific recipe?
8 tablespoons of plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Grated lemon zest
4 apricots finely chopped
4 spring onions finely chopped
Any favourite seasoning - (cumin, mustard seed, curry powder)

Mix, add a bit of water, work into a nice dough, roll out, oil both sides then cut in half and place on a red hot griddle.

It will work with a normal frying pan but the griddle makes the lovely black char lines.

Makes enough for two flatbreads. Once the basic recipe works then you just experiment with any other ingredients to hand.
_______
"I'm not arguing there are no decent people in the Tory Party...But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd" Iain Banks.

28-02-2012, 11:07   #4
foxforcefive

Total Posts: 3,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
1 teaspoon baking powder
Grated lemon zest

Mix, add a bit of water, work into a nice dough, roll out, oil both sides then cut in half and place on a red hot griddle.

It will work with a normal frying pan but the griddle makes the lovely black char lines.

Makes enough for two flatbreads. Once the basic recipe works then you just experiment with any other ingredients to hand.
I fancy making some but would prefer without chunks, surely it's not just flour, baking powder and water with spices??
_______
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
03-03-2012, 17:56   #5
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxforcefive View Post
I fancy making some but would prefer without chunks, surely it's not just flour, baking powder and water with spices??
Nope, nothing more. Make a dough, roll it out, oil it and cook in a very hot pan
_______

20-03-2012, 18:20   #6
chimay

Total Posts: 24,487
There's a lovely flatbread with cooked mashed sweet potato in. I think it's Portugese.
_______
This isn't war, this is pest control.

Grief is the price we pay for love.
21-03-2012, 15:29   #7
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimay View Post
There's a lovely flatbread with cooked mashed sweet potato in. I think it's Portugese.
Did a quick google of that and came up with this.
_______

Sponsored Links
14-04-2012, 21:09   #8
lh82

Total Posts: 117
Tried these tonight, they were delish : )
15-04-2012, 10:52   #9
chimay

Quote:
Did a quick google of that and came up with this.
The ones I made didn't have the spices in.
_______

16-04-2012, 17:05   #10
mrs grissom

Total Posts: 502
Quote:
1 teaspoon baking powder
Grated lemon zest

Thank You Taxman ! X
Just made flatbread using your recipe and they were delicious !. I adde garlic, fresh chopped Rosemary , salt and pepper . Gorgeous ! ta x
_______
Here is a piece of paper and a pencil. Draw a picture of someone who gives a damn. If it doesn't look like me you have to leave.
16-04-2012, 18:37   #11
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs grissom View Post
Thank You Taxman ! X
Just made flatbread using your recipe and they were delicious !. I adde garlic, fresh chopped Rosemary , salt and pepper . Gorgeous ! ta x
Glad you liked them. I think as soon as you know the basic recipe and how to make them then you can just experiment with all sorts of spices or ingredients. I can't believe I've only recently started making them.
_______

16-04-2012, 19:37   #12
Joey

Total Posts: 1,012
Send a message via MSN to Joey
I've been experimenting with bread too and will have to give yours a go next weekend.

My favourite so far is 100g of plain flour mixed with 100g of plain yoghurt, made into a dough, rolled into two flat breads and put into a hot frying pan with a tiny bit of oil in it. I can make them and be cleaned up in 5 minutes :0) Tastes just like nan bread. I started off adding spices to them, but I just make them plain to have with curry now ( I'm so lazy !!)
_______
A synonym is a word you use if you can't spell the other one.
Joeys can be girls too !!
21-04-2012, 11:37   #13
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I've been experimenting with bread too and will have to give yours a go next weekend.

My favourite so far is 100g of plain flour mixed with 100g of plain yoghurt, made into a dough, rolled into two flat breads and put into a hot frying pan with a tiny bit of oil in it. I can make them and be cleaned up in 5 minutes :0) Tastes just like nan bread. I started off adding spices to them, but I just make them plain to have with curry now ( I'm so lazy !!)
Tried a similar thing for lunch, flour, yoghurt, flaked almonds and apricots. The yoghurt gave it a lighter, fluffier texture.
_______

02-05-2012, 20:55   #14
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,336
I've just had marinated pork in a spicy sauce, a great big pile of salad and flatbreads la taxman with onions and kalonji seeds in (but no apricots or lemon) and I have to say (burp!) that it rocked
_______
Insecurities are about as useful as putting the pin back in the grenade.

02-05-2012, 22:05   #15
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa View Post
I've just had marinated pork in a spicy sauce, a great big pile of salad and flatbreads la taxman with onions and kalonji seeds in (but no apricots or lemon) and I have to say (burp!) that it rocked
Glad you enjoyed it. I'm either going to do a curry or a chilli over the weekend and am looking forward to creating a new spicy and interesting flatbread accompaniment.
_______

02-06-2012, 21:21   #16
abbyzeeble

Total Posts: 37
I might try that on a stone in the oven, I'm sure that would work well. Thanks for the recipe; I'm going to try garlic and coriander.
06-06-2012, 08:29   #17
Farslad

Total Posts: 636
Good stuff Taxman. Homemade flatbreads are great especially when eaten straight away.

We have a thing (not sure what the correct name is? It's a rectangle cast iron thing that sits over 2 gas rings) that we cook them on. Lush
07-06-2012, 15:10   #18
chimay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farslad View Post
Good stuff Taxman. Homemade flatbreads are great especially when eaten straight away.

We have a thing (not sure what the correct name is? It's a rectangle cast iron thing that sits over 2 gas rings) that we cook them on. Lush

Is it a griddle? Flat on one side and ribbed on the other?
_______

08-06-2012, 09:12   #19
Farslad

Total Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimay View Post
Is it a griddle? Flat on one side and ribbed on the other?
Nope, it's not ribbed at all. Just a flat peice of cast iron that sits plush on top of 2 gas rings.

Tried to search for one online but can't find one. Probably as I don't know what it's called

Edit - Think it is just a griddle but a flat one. It was left behind when we bought our house. Which was nice.

Last edited by Farslad; 08-06-2012 at 09:16.
16-10-2012, 18:31   #20
Hopman

Total Posts: 1,437
I tried something similar and found that it wouldn't keep beyond half an hour. I'll try again sometime as it seems a great way of using up that old curry powder.
Reply To Topic