Sheffield Forum

Homebuyers Report or full building survey? What cost?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

02-05-2012, 17:49   #41
eighteenofou

Total Posts: 50
I would have the full survey, due to the value of the purchase. You seem to have alot of experience and a good team, but for the difference in price on the HB anf full, is pennies compared to the purchase price.

I think it's better to be in the know. TBH not sure what additional info it would give you though.

Good luck with your venture
02-05-2012, 20:49   #42
spider1

Total Posts: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMT View Post
Ps To answer Spider's questions, our builder has been, I am the wife, and it is over the price you mention so there is quite a lot at stake!
HI why do you want to pay people for some thing that you already know . probably upwards of 2ooo by the time they have all finished with you .If you have a good builder why not ask him if it requires a full survey and then all the surveys they will recomend on top Structural. Plumbing .Electrical .etc. If he says yes then take his advice. He is the one looking at the job and if he is a good builder he will know what is needed. At the end of the day you must have complete trust in the builder and take his advice on most things as work progreses / Hope you have checked builder out seen his previous jobs etc and talked to people he has done work for . Good luck with your venture but with the right builder on the job its all pretty staight forward and you will have mooved in before you know it. I think a structural report would put your mind at rest. Your builder will have his own contacts for these people and it may benefit you to use his architect to advice you if you are moving walls and kitchens around they have a minds eye for seeing finished job.

Last edited by spider1; 02-05-2012 at 22:03.
03-05-2012, 13:01   #43
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 12,181
Many builders are perfectly honest and will give a dispassionate view on the need for works at the house.
But not all are- hence my preferred option of an independent Chartered Surveyor (with professional indemnity insurance backing!)
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
Solicitor with Nether Edge Law
Contact me on jss@netheredgelaw.co.uk
23-12-2013, 23:11   #44
lotteblade

Total Posts: 367
Send a message via AIM to lotteblade Send a message via MSN to lotteblade
Are the home buyers worth it or a waste of money.?

Anyone suggest anyone who could do a home buyer report in s12
24-12-2013, 15:07   #45
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 12,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotteblade View Post
Are the home buyers worth it or a waste of money?
No, it's not waste of money. There are effectively three types of property inspection:
1. Mortgage valuation- yes, a waste of money, but essential if one is seeking a mortgage advance. It reassures the prospective mortgagee (lender) that the advance will be sufficiently secured on the property. However, it is often conducted by a non-surveyor; and, although the mortgagor (borrower) usually has to pay for it, it's not for the mortgagor's benefit.
2. Homebuyer Report: a sort of 'halfway' inspection, by a Chartered Surveyor, and quite detailed. However, it's not nearly as detailed (or expensive) as...
3. Full Structural Survey.

A Homebuyer Report is adequate for most properties, but not for one which is:
a. a Listed Building;
b. known to have structural defects; or
c. of unusual construction or self-built.
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
Solicitor with Nether Edge Law
Contact me on jss@netheredgelaw.co.uk
10-03-2015, 08:58   #46
neresi

Total Posts: 79
I have found a firm (They are called Your Survey) on internet for a Home Buyers Report.
The price they offer is reasonable.
The only catch is they want the payment in advance. Is this a normal practice??
Many Thanks for replies.
10-03-2015, 09:46   #47
tlangdon12

Total Posts: 67
In my experience they are worth it, if the surveyor is experienced. Effectively you are getting an experienced property professional to look carefully at all visible aspects of the property. You could do this yourself, but for the relatively small cost of a Homebuyers report, I think it is worth getting this professional view.

To the trained eye, many defects are visible even from a cursory inspection.

Be prepared for the survey to leave a certain number of unknowns regarding the condition of the electrics, water and heating systems, where the chartered surveyor doesn't have the time, knowledge or equipment to assess the system fully.
10-03-2015, 17:04   #48
PPC_Appeals

Total Posts: 30
Also be prepared to take quite a few of their findings with a large pinch of salt.
They like to cover themselves.
29-05-2015, 08:15   #49
ifati

Total Posts: 23
Hi there,

I am first time buyer and I want to get a homebuyer's surveyor's report.
Have you ever used one and how much did it cost you?
was it useful or not?
And finally which surveyor would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
Reply To Topic