Cherry Cake: how to stop the cherries sinking

I made a cherry cake yesterday from my new Mary Berry cake book and although I followed the recipe and did everything it said my cherries still sank to the bottom of the cake. Does anyone know how to stop this happening?

It said to mix all the ingredients together and then add the cherries and stir them in.

Thanks

Hi, try coating the cherries in a little bit of the flour you are using, i know this works with chocolate chips as i have tried this myself. But give it a go, hope it helps.

X

How do you prepare your cherries? Lots of advice says to wash and dry them very well before adding to a cake, and others say to coat them in flour before adding to the mix.

I did wash and dry the cherries (as instructed in the recipe) I will try the flour coating next time.

I halve them and coat them in flour. Usually works quite well.

Saw this some days ago. and couldn't remember what the answer was, thought about it today and thought I'd look to see if my answer was the same as someone else's - yes it is, Coat with flour, took me days to remember this, must be going daft - good luck.

anyone like "Bread pudding"

I have made the Mary Berry cherry cake twice now, the first time I washed the cherries and folded them in (as instructed) and the second time I followed this by coating in flour...Sorry to say the same thing happened! I just think the recipe although makes a delicious cake is too thin to stop the cherries from sinking. next time I'm going to put most of the mixture in the tin and then layer the cherries just underneath the surface(after washing and coating in flour first) failing this there is apparently a fail proof cherry cake recipe on the Delia website!!

I made a cherry cake yesterday from my new Mary Berry cake book and although I followed the recipe and did everything it said my cherries still sank to the bottom of the cake. Does anyone know how to stop this happening?

It said to mix all the ingredients together and then add the cherries and stir them in.

Thanks

Try mixing some dried cherries in along with the others, it works with blueberry pie, you could also use dried cranberries instead with either cake or pies.