Sheffield Forum

Removing Black Coffee Stains From Knitting

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Sheffield Knitting Group

Reply To Topic

24-04-2012, 17:49   #1
Wheezy
Sock Denial

Total Posts: 2,041
This afternoon, instead of enjoying a nice cup of coffee, I decided to tip half of it into my knitting trug. Of course I ruined a lovely knitting book and the coffee has stained several pieces of a soon to be teddybear. (cream....) It also coated the ball of wool I am still knitting with (last teddy leg). I guess I am going to have to finish the leg with the coffee stained yarn and then wash the piece along with the other stained pieces What would be the best way to wash it? I was thinking on a gentle wash in the washing machine. Any advise?
_______
Love is like a magic penny
24-04-2012, 18:59   #2
Moonfire

Total Posts: 590
I would dip in warm soapy water as soon as possible.
I hope you get it out Wheezy
25-04-2012, 13:27   #3
Wool4brains

Total Posts: 843
Too late now - you either got the coffee out or you didn't. I'd wash it in the sink with some bath temperature water and a squirt of whatever you wash your dishes in. If it's wool-wool then there's the option of overdyeing it (strong black tea will work) to cover up the stains. The extreme solution is a black marker pen and make it a Fresian teddy.

Someone small accidentally tipped a glass of Vimto in my lace knitting once, the worst thing about that was the sticky needles.
_______
I blog too
28-04-2012, 10:07   #4
Wheezy
Sock Denial

Total Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wool4brains View Post
Too late now - you either got the coffee out or you didn't. I'd wash it in the sink with some bath temperature water and a squirt of whatever you wash your dishes in. If it's wool-wool then there's the option of overdyeing it (strong black tea will work) to cover up the stains. The extreme solution is a black marker pen and make it a Fresian teddy.

Someone small accidentally tipped a glass of Vimto in my lace knitting once, the worst thing about that was the sticky needles.
I washed the pieces. It faded but didn't wash out. I will have to knit another head. I think I am sticking with the stained leg as it won't be seen (much). It's bamboo by the way w4b.
_______
Love is like a magic penny
24-05-2012, 11:53   #5
tenten122

Total Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfire View Post
I would dip in warm soapy water as soon as possible.
I hope you get it out Wheezy
thanks it very helpful to me
24-05-2012, 17:12   #6
peakwool

Total Posts: 320
I would not be worried. I would make a feature of the stain and go around it with a daisy stitch. Call him Patch. Or dip the whole bear in coffee and change him entirely.
Reply To Topic