Sick of Speeding Motorists

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

25-04-2012, 12:06   #81
V.Rossi

Total Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Ralge View Post
Only 5 or 6% of road deaths happen on motorways, actually, so the general perception that motorways are dangerous is inaccurate. We just get to hear about every crash on m/w's (innocuous or not) since even a bent bumper causes a jam.
Although true, motorways are actually considered the safest UK roads. However the poster didn't say they weren't, he said there is a higher number of fatalatites on motorways, which although I don't have any evidence to present to the court of Sheffield forum, I can quite believe.
25-04-2012, 12:35   #82
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,148
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
Some stats here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15608217

Of all the crashes I've seen on the motorways they come about from people driving too close. You could argue that they are driving too fast, but it would be too fast for the conditions.
25-04-2012, 17:14   #83
DT Ralge

Total Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiner andy View Post
wrong on all accounts! stop being a troll!
Wrong ?
How can I be wrong in asking questions?
How can I be a troll in asking a poster to reflect on what they have written?
_______
The older I get, the better I was.
25-04-2012, 17:31   #84
DT Ralge

Total Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Rossi View Post
Although true, motorways are actually considered the safest UK roads. However the poster didn't say they weren't, he said there is a higher number of fatalatites on motorways, which although I don't have any evidence to present to the court of Sheffield forum, I can quite believe.
Something not being understood here - of the 2222 road deaths in 2009 and of the 1850 in 2010 5 or 6 percent of them (roughly 100) happened on motorways.
Your "higher number of fatalities on motorways" doesn't stack up, since 1900-2000 happened elsewheree, mostly on country A-roads.
If you or the previous poster are thinking "higher fatality rate per crash" or "more likely to die on a m/w" because of the higher speeds, that is simply not true since many crashes on m/w's are memorable events but eminently survivable as relatively low speed impacts (all mostly travelling in the same direction) that are catered for by crumple zones, seatbelts, head restraints and airbags. The cars are a mess, you won't forget the 10-15mph impact and the aftermath in a hurry but you live to tell the tale (fingers and everything else crossed).
What car occupants on m/w's struggle to survive is contact with trucks.
_______
The older I get, the better I was.
26-04-2012, 21:03   #85

Total Posts: 767
Returning briefly to the OP's post, a moveable speed warning, smiley/scowling face, is currently installed on Baslow Road coming down the hill from the Cross Scythes towards the dual-carriageway section. I saw it light up with a speed of 38 yesterday.
27-04-2012, 10:13   #86
Chumley

Total Posts: 740
The only place the camera sets up round there is Twentywell Lane. Judging by the rubber strips they'll be back again soon.

I think they'd be more usefully employed on the stretch between Dore station and Totley Rise.
27-04-2012, 14:53   #87
Captain_Scarlet

Total Posts: 4,175
Send a message via ICQ to Captain_Scarlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
Maths really isn't your strong point is it.
  • Maths are
Fixed it for you
_______
Don't chip your pets, shall I chip you?
27-04-2012, 17:07   #88
Cookingfat

Total Posts: 684
ask the council for one of those matrix signs that flashes your speed up and tells you to slow down. they have lots in norfolk and for me very effective at getting your speed down, the only thing about these matrix signs is that it does not report you so the councils lose alot of finance from them but they do work
27-04-2012, 17:35   #89
Sunbeam16

Total Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Butt View Post
Rules like laws are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Some people are far better drivers than others and should regard the speed limits merely as a guideline. It does not matter if they speed just so long as they drive safely.
Never heard so much garbage in my life ..... wonder if that would stand up in a court of law .... hahahahaha
27-04-2012, 18:10   #90

Total Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookingfat View Post
ask the council for one of those matrix signs that flashes your speed up and tells you to slow down. they have lots in norfolk and for me very effective at getting your speed down, the only thing about these matrix signs is that it does not report you so the councils lose alot of finance from them but they do work
In my previous post I explained there is one of those already on the stretch of road being discussed by the OP!!
27-04-2012, 18:11   #91
Chumley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Scarlet View Post
  • Maths are
Fixed it for you
"Mathematics" can be either singular (the group of sciences which includes algebra, geometry and calculus) or plural (functions involved in the solution of scientific problems). So "maths is" and "maths are" are both correct, however in the context used I would think the former is more appropriate

Last edited by Chumley; 27-04-2012 at 18:12. Reason: Typing not my strong point!
27-04-2012, 18:15   #92
Chumley

As it happens I saw the camera van heading up that way around lunchtime (going out of town past Tesco Express). Don't know if he actually parked up.
Reply To Topic