Proposed 50% budget cut to sheffield archaeology.

Cut the budget altogether - why worry, it will still be there in 10 years time :hihi:

Cut the budget altogether - why worry, it will still be there in 10 years time :hihi:

Did you not read the last two paragraphs of the report. ? :)

Did you not read the last two paragraphs of the report. ? :)

Yes I did - its been there for 2000 years, hardly liable to vanish in the next 12 months is it....

Yes I did - its been there for 2000 years, hardly liable to vanish in the next 12 months is it....

It would have been destroyed. :mad:

The SYAS is part of the planning process in South Yorkshire. It's already struggling to keep up with demand. Cut it and developers will have carte blanche to destroy any archaeology that gets in their way, and once it's gone, it's gone. It doesn't belong to just us, it belongs to future generations as part of their history and culture, and we've no right to let it be destroyed because politicians, local or national, want to save a few bob.

The SYAS is part of the planning process in South Yorkshire. It's already struggling to keep up with demand. Cut it and developers will have carte blanche to destroy any archaeology that gets in their way, and once it's gone, it's gone. It doesn't belong to just us, it belongs to future generations as part of their history and culture, and we've no right to let it be destroyed because politicians, local or national, want to save a few bob.

Well said. :)

Same could be said of many other services, each to their own eh.

absolutely each to his own and i would never say otherwise just dont expect the majority to pay for your minority interests or services, i like racing motorbikes but i dont ask the public to pay for it!

absolutely each to his own and i would never say otherwise just dont expect the majority to pay for your minority interests or services, i like racing motorbikes but i dont ask the public to pay for it!

But that's not a public service providing for us and future generations is it. :)

But that's not a public service providing for us and future generations is it. :)

can you tell us exactly what important public service archaeology gives us in this day and age??? is there anything that will help us get out of the financial crisis??:rolleyes:

can you tell us exactly what important public service archaeology gives us in this day and age??? is there anything that will help us get out of the financial crisis??:rolleyes:

It preserves our heritage, that is it's main function and why i value it.

It's not a financial organisation so i doubt it will help provide an answer to the current financial situation, or any future ones. :huh:

It's sad that there are people who feel the need to post stupid comments like cut all funding